u torrent and dht

dan44762000

DHT is a distributed tracker, almost like a backup in case a public tracker you're using goes down. If you disable it, you lose any chance of getting seeds/peers where a tracker goes down. The number of UDP packets it generates can take down some people's networking hardware, because they incorrectly identify the packets as "connections" and thus, add toward the total connection count's limit. If you hit the limit, your router will simply refuse to open any new connections until another connection closes.

The number of UDP packets it generates can take down some people's networking hardware ---> So, if am not sure about the good quality of my router (in fact I am pretty sure - it's crap - it is given for free to the clients of my ISP) I should turn it off?

So, this may be the reason for trackers always being reported as offline (timed out) by uTorrent?

But if I disable it, would I still get the same amount of peers/seeds as I would with it, so that my download speed would not be effected?

You can have my DHT when you pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

If I learned that my router was puking on DHT packets, I'd slapshot that sucker into the nearest dumpster, then head down to the MicroCenter with a c-note in my fist for something that didn't suck.

DHT is the best thing that ever happened to bittorrent technology, and I'll never create a .torrent file with the feature turned off.

If my torrents survive the coming sandvine shatstorm, it'll be because they're DHT enabled. If they were marketed "Private" and posted to a single site, half of them would be dead or on life-support already (and, if I posted them only to Demonoid, which has regularly changing announce URLs, they'd eventually be auto-deleted and there'd be no way to reseed partially-completed peers using the old .torrent file with obsolesced announces).

Archived