Speed less than 1k/sec

Jerusalem

I was at about 15k/s yesterday. It looks like the trouble started when I tried to download 2 torrents at the same time.

This morning I had a yellow triangle but it's a green check mark now. I talked to my ISP and my connection speed is fine. I also went through the setup guide and performed the speed test.

I think we've heard reports that your ISP throttles BitTorrent traffic specifically...to only a tiny amount of your connection's rated max.

Have you done internet searches for more people who have this problem on the same ISP?

...in the hopes they have a solution.

Ok, moving on...what's the reported speeds you got from Speed Test (both down and up)?

Did you do a couple tests to see if there was big variations, possibly varying throughout the day? (evening hours around 6 PM to 10 PM are often slower)

What settings are you trying to use in µTorrent as shown by Speed Guide (CTRL+G)?

I have been having so much trouble with speed problems that I am ready to give up on the whole torrent deal all together, lol. (not really, but it sounded good). The problem I am having is I am supposed to be downloading at 2.5 mb and uploading at 316(what all the speedtest are showing me as well as my dsl provider show), but on utorrent my download speed is usually around 30 kbs and upload get as high as in the 40's kbs.

I have tried everything I can think of. I have went to tons of websites and followed all of their walkthroughs with no luck. I am not running off of a router. I know it can't be my computer because I used to live in a big town and I used dsl with at&t and also cable modem with Suddenlink and I never really had any trouble with them. Now I am with Windstream for dsl.

With all of that in mind I have a very big question to ask from someone. Could someone message me on either yahoo messenger or msn messenger and personally walk me through everything again and help me till I get the speeds I am supposed to, lol? I would greatly appreciate it!!!! My yahoo screen name is hearttamer2002 and my msn screen name is JoeyOlguin1980@hotmail.com

Thanks again for any help anyone can offer.....

Joey

hearttamer2002,

You are confusing internet connection's kilobits/sec BANDWIDTH ratings for µTorrent's KiloBYTES/sec download/upload speeds.

There's roughly a magnitude (10 times) of difference between the 2.

You probably just need to run Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and choose the xx/256k (upload speed max) setting. That 256 kilobits/sec upload bandwidth max is below your measured 316 kilobits/sec upload bandwidth max.

Thanks for replying for off. Sorry about being confused, lol. I guess what I meant to say is on the speeds I get to about 50 kB/s download and about 40 kB/s upload. When I run speedtest it shows that I hit just above 2500 Kb/s download and 316 Kb/s upload. I have it set to 256 kilobits/sec and though the speeds get up to as high as 130 kB/s download, that is still a lot lower than I am supposed to get, lol. And the worst part of all is......they very rarely stay that high and it always fluxuates between 130 kB/s download and sometimes lower than 10 kB/s download. My upload pretty much stays about 40 kB/s sometimes higher. The bad part about the upload speed is....I have been doing a lot of uploading torrents and that speed sucks, lol. I know you are a moderator, but you wouldn't by any chance be able to get on yahoo or msn messenger so maybe you can possibly help me out with the settings you have would you? It just gets kind of old not getting the speeds that I am paying for, lol and I would just like to know if it is something that I am or am not doing or is it something to do somewhere else.

Sorry, but I don't understand what the OpenOffice TEST is, lol. As far as the upload speed staying at 40 KiloBYTES/s when the setting is at xx/256K, I am not sure either, lol. I don't know what I changed yesterday, but now my upload speed is staying around 20 KiloBYTES/s. My download speeds are hitting as high as over a 100 KiloBYTES/s, but even that is low when I should be getting 2.5 megs/s.

I don't know why I am not getting that download speed of 2.5 megs/s and why I ain't getting at least the 256K upload speed. That is what it is saying I should be getting on the speed test. When I was using the Bittornado program I was getting as high as 400 to 500 KiloBYTES/s(that was when I was using Suddenlink cable modem and when I was using AT&T dsl, but then again my download speed was at 5megs/s). But then I moved and now I have Windstream with their speed being 2.5 megs/s. Even now when I was using Bittornado I am was getting lower speeds than I am getting now using utorrent. Another side to the story with Bittornado(and the reason I am using utorrent) is that in Bittornado when I choosed the setting to force green when behind a firewall(cause in bittornado my light would stay yellow) it would turn green. So that is pretty much telling me that I am behind a firewall, but for the life of me, I can't see how. I completely disabled windows firewall and it was still doing that using bittornado. I am not using any other program now that I wasn't using when my speeds were so high using suddenlink and at&t.

I just checked my firewall settings with the speedstream modem I am using and the firewall on that is off. However I am going to put on here a section of it that might be causing the problem(I am not sure it is causing the problem, maybe you might know, lol)

Under the firewall section, subcatagory filter rules it shows....

Firewall IP Filter Configuration Wizard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inbound IP Filter Rules

Rule

No. Status Access Protocol Source

Interface Source

Address Source

Mask Source

Port Op Destination

Interface Destination

Address Destination

Mask Destination

Port Op Log Enable

Disable Delete

2222 P,E,N permit UDP any any any any any 127. 0. 0. 1 host 6881- 6999 no Protected Protected

2224 P,E,N permit TCP any any any any any 127. 0. 0. 1 host 6881- 6999 no Protected Protected

2226 P,E,N permit UDP any any any any any 127. 0. 0. 1 host = 68 no Protected Protected

2230 P,E,N permit UDP any any any any any 192.168.254. 1 host = 2994 no Protected Protected

2232 P,E,N permit TCP any any any any any 192.168.254. 1 host = 49153 no Protected Protected

2234 P,E,N permit UDP any any any any any 192.168.254. 1 host = 49153 no Protected Protected

Outbound IP Filter Rules

Rule

No. Status Access Protocol Source

Interface Source

Address Source

Mask Source

Port Op Destination

Interface Destination

Address Destination

Mask Destination

Port Op Log Enable

Disable Delete

that is the way is is showing it when I copy and paste it, but it is all catagorized, but I can't fit it on here. Maybe that will help. Unfortuanatly I can't manually type the catagories on here because it is too small to do on this message box. I could send it to you as a screen shot(maybe...I can't seem to get it to work on this computer, lol). I don't know if you have a personal email address I can send it to, but maybe the way it works on here you might understand it, lol. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Joey

To find a link to the OpenOffice torrents we use to test speeds, read this Troubleshooting Guide section:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=258232#p258232

...and while you're at it, read the rest too...especially the "SLOW/INTERRUPTED INTERNET CONNECTION OR OFFLINE TRACKERS" part.

If your ISP says the line is 2.5 megs, they mean 2.5 megabits/sec max download bandwidth...which works out to be only about 300 KiloBYTES/sec download speed at best.

If your upload speed in µTorrent is exceeding the set amount, then you may need to uncheck "Enable Local Peer Discovery" and CHECK "Limit Local Peer Bandwidth".

Post screenshots to rapidshare or something similar...just make sure to paint over the parts you don't need given out if there's anything to hide.

I would like to thank you for all the help Switeck. When I tried the test file, my speeds got about 315 KiloBYTES. Which I guess means it isn't anything I can control or change.

I still have one last question though, lol. I don't know if you are familar with Bittornado or not, but why with my status light stay yellow, but when I chose the option to force green if firewalled, it would turn green? That is kinda crazy I think, lol.

Thanks again for all the help,

Joey

nofornike,

Your total upload speed is only about 128 kilobits/sec -- so anything higher in Speed Guide than xx/128k will probably just make things worse.

Your ISP may throttle BitTorrent so that you disconnect from seeds and peers all the time...or they run very slowly. This I do not know, but presumably someone in your area would.

This troubleshooting guide may at least help you get a little faster download+upload speed:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

Archived