Create Web Seed Torrents

bleachie

Web seeding is a great idea, and I'm glad you added support. I wasn't able to find very much technical information on how exactly web seeding was implemented, but from what I know it only supports one file. That works fine, but I want to see a feature in the integrated torrent maker to create web seed torrents.

Sorry, I only searched the forums with the term "web seeding" while "web seed" turned up some very different results. I would still like to find more detailed information on uTorrent's implementation of web seeds.

At the moment, the only way to do so is to edit the .torrent file directly with a bencode editing utility, or a hex editor (though you'll need to be careful with the latter).

If you know how bencoding works, then you should be able to add a key called "url-list" to the root dictonary that either points to a byte string containing the URL to the file or directory, or a list of byte strings containing the URLs to the files and/or directories.

Ok, I'm officially confused.

Does this mean that I can make a web seeded torrent of a single file using only utorrent?

However....

if I want to make a web seeded torrent with multiple files, I will have to use a bencode editing utility, or a hex editor?

Or....

does this mean that I have to use a bencode editing utility, or a hex editor to make any type of web seeded torrent?

Whew....

I'm guessing the latter.... :-)

Summary:

- µTorrent currently supports web-seeds only for single-file torrents (it just won't use the url-list if there are multiple files). Web-seeding support has been completed in 1.8, and multi-file torrents can now take advantage of web-seeds.

- You currently can't create a web-seeded torrent from within µTorrent, but yes, you can use some proper editing utility to modify the contents and add the url-list, and provided the torrent is a single-file torrent and was edited properly, µTorrent will use the web-seed if it finds that other peers don't have the data it needs/wants.

If you're wondering why we keep referencing this imaginary "bencode editor," it's because... well, I dunno xD I can't speak for anyone else, but I guess when I mention "bencode editor," I'm hoping there is one out there (or thinking that there theoretically could be one). At any rate, there technically are bencode editors out there (.torrent file editors), but they might not be what you're looking for.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The minimum requirement for a web seed to work is for it to serve the file from a set URL that does not expire, and behaves well however/whenever/wherever the URL is accessed. If you can't copy a URL one day, send the URL to your friend a week later, and have it still work, then it's not fit to be used as a web seed URL.

Anything that uses sessions (as FileFront does) will not work as a web seed. So the answer: no.

Archived