Upspeed WAY faster than downspeed, how to correct?

Michael Blue

From that section:

"Make sure you set an exception for incoming and outgoing connections for µTorrent in your firewall's configuration!"

I have done this, am only D/L'ing 2 torrents at a time.

I will be downloading for the next week or two solid (all Top Gear Episodes) and will not disconnect my firewall for that long.

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but as far as I can tell, I've taken every step outlined here and in the FAQ.

oy vey, I forgot to mention Network OK there... added it now ;p

"If everything is set up fine, you will see Network OK in the status bar (to the left of DHT:) after you start a torrent and get an incoming connection. If it stays blank, try a torrent with many peers to make sure there's enough peers in the swarm to guarantee you getting an incoming connection."

If you see that, then tell us your settings (default or otherwise), and the swarm size.

Do you have a router? Is your modem a router/modem combo?

You can check fairly easily if you don't know.

Start -> Run -> cmd

type ipconfig, press enter.

You should see something like this...

>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

If it's either 192.168.x or 176.x.x.x, you're behind a router. In which case, you should open your browser, and go to the the IP that's specified in Default Gateway to set up the options you need. Typically, it's called Port Forwarding or Virtual Server, you'll have to look through the various pages in the web interface to find it.

If no to both of these, it means the exception on your firewall didn't work. You have to make sure to permit all outbound on TCP/UDP and inbound on your listening port for TCP/UDP for utorrent.exe

Windows XP's built-in firewall.

I was trying to d/l the early top gear episodes, and added a newer one to test it. The newer one is running much faster, so could it even be something as stupid as a lack of peers serving it?

Oh well...Thanks!

Well, you would have that in front of you, meaning that right on the

µtorrent screen for that episode, it would show the number of seeds, and the availability.

Well, since you get NAT Error, it probably means that you didn't set up the exception properly in Windows Firewall.. There's probably others here who know how to set it up, but personally I don't use it, so I can't help.

Since you can't receive incoming connections or connected to other peers behind NAT, it will hurt your speeds.

And yes, you can see the number of seeders/peers in the swarm by clicking on the torrent and looking in the General tab.

Archived