uTorrent issues

JoAT

I'm having a problem with utorrent that I'm hoping that someone can help with here...

I left configuration alone for a little while, but then had to change some values cause utorrent was causing "disk overload" warnings whenever getting files. I understand that it might say that at the beginning of the download, but this was during the whole time that the file was downloading, which caused concern.

So I read the forums....read them some more...and more...and decided that changing the disk cache was the thing to do as I'm on a 100M line. Then the problems REALLY started happening...

So I had Enable caching of disk writes uncheck, which unchecks the 2 boxes underneath it, and checked off the box that says "Increase automatic cache size when cache thrashing"

Afterwards my system would crash constantly! I'm guessing that it's cause I unchecked that one particular box and checked off the increase box, so it was storing everything in cache causing the CPU to overload and stop responding (my uneducated guess here tho)

So I guess that my question here is, How do you prevent the disk overload? What configuration do I need to edit in order to fix this? Or should I do what I was doing, and then just check off the box that states "Override automatic cache size and specify the size manually" and then uncheck the "Increase automatic cache size"?

I'm tired of my system being unresponsive...*sigh*

You need a lot more than that, especially since the Windows system cache eats up RAM too.

Anyway, I would recommend leaving write out finished pieces immediately on and not turn on the increase automatic cache size, because of your limited RAM. You may even want to set a specific size for the cache, like 128M or something.

Thanks for the input Firon, I'll try that out but when did utorrent become so resource heavy when using it? That was one of the main features that I liked about utorrent over azureus in the fact that it used less resources. Is this now not the case?

I had/have the same problem with my µtorrent 1.7.4 running under Vista x64. It usually works fine but from time to time it stops emptying the cache, or rather it empties it very slow(<10kb/s). If you select the "speed" tab in µtorrent and select the "Disk statistics" option in the drop down meny you can see how much of your write buffer that is written to the file. I've checked my harddrives and they work fine so it's not a problem with them getting overloaded.

I have yet to find the cause and a permanent soloution to this problem, the only thing that helps for me is to delete all the torrents from µtorrent and redownload the .torrent files from the trackers again.

Archived