When PC goes into standby mode utorrent stops working

sburro69

Hi,

When i use utorrent, after a while my PC goes into standby mode. Usually with the Bitcomet client downloads still continue and the cable modem lites keep flashing, however with every release of utorrent after my PC goes into standby mode, utorrent stops and all downloads and seeding stop..

Does anyone have a similar problem? how is this fixed?

Imagine what happens in energy save mode (depending on you settings in BIOS)

Screen turns off (no effect on µtorrent so far)

CPU goes into energy savings mode (small effect on µtorrent since it doesn't neet much CPU power

HDD shuts down (BIG impact since you can't read or write data from/to a spun down drive)

any questions??

-DG

If im correct, doesnt the computer write the current memory to the hard drive, and shut down? If this is true, i dont see how Bitcomet could possibly continue to work.. Please correct me if im wrong :/

That is hibernation, not standby, where the computer is fully powered down.

Standby continues to operate the computer in a minimal power-consumption mode. It starts up again in about 5 seconds. I believe HDDs are spun down, monitor and all peripheral/input shut down (since the only thing that brings it out of standby mode is the power button, usually).

When I go into standby, my wireless adapter gets disabled and I lose connection.. I imagine the same happens to you, I have no idea what's going on..

In most BIOS chips you could set different levels of power saving

So as long as you leav CPU. HDD and NIC untouched there is no reason for it not to work

since all it effectvely does, is blancing out/shutting down the monitor

The usefulness of a setting like this is a different story tho

-DG

Archived