How To: Run uTorrent on Linux.

NoOneButMe

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Need some help with WINE,

I'm doing a private p2p on a local network with only two machines and uTorrent works find under XPs. Currently I'm trying out private p2p between an XP and Backtrack3 LiveCD, it seems that uTorrent on Wine can't communicate with the XP one. I can assure that under Backtrack3 I can see IP address of the XP and the two machines are connected. Why can't it make the connection as it were with two XPs. Is there a command or script I need to turn something on? Wine packaged with Backtrack3 is v0.9.

Thanks,

I don't understand, Mozilla Firefox installed on Wine still able to to surf the web but can't communicate with the other computers on the network? I mean WINE still has it functions to link to the hardware on the machine on BT3. Will the instruction at the beginning of this post can be used to update to a latest WINE version? I will try to update see if it fix this.

But before I do,

I pull up the uTorrent "Logger" tab on WINE and it has some error messages below.

[2009-05-26 09:52:12] TCP bind failed 0.0.0.0:80 (10048) Error 10048

[2009-05-26 09:52:12] IPv6 installed

[2009-05-26 09:52:12] Error opening Windows firewall: 0x80070005 Error-2147024891

The first line "0.0.0.0:80" don't know why it reads as 0.0.0.0 it should have been the 192.168.1.X Is it trying to connect to my XP as IP 0.0.0.0 ? The port 80 is the uTorrent listening port number. I know this because I manually config that port.

I'm not familiar with IPv6 is, but the 3rd line "Error opening Windows firewall" Is it trying to conect to windows XP but tt can't go through the "Windows Firewall"? If it is how can it do so if its trying to connect to IP "0.0.0.0"?

Ok, first, why use Firefox in Wine? Is the Linux version problematic? Second, each new Wine version has fixes to increase application compatibility. The Backtrack 4 Beta might have the last stable or higher but you should update to the latest dev build using the site itself.

Hi i need some help with east asian characters/fonts i am using wine 1.1.7 on debian etch

when ever i add torrents containing asain characters they dont display properly they come up in

some weird blocks

i have installed asain fonts on debian but they dont display on wine applications

can some one help me on this

I'm pretty inept when it comes to tech stuff. I'm using Ubuntu (still very new to it) and can't quite figure out how to properly setup uTorrent. I at least figured out how to set it as my default .torrent host with Wine and Firefox. It starts up fine when I click on a torrent, however I get a warning saying:

Unable to load "blah.blah.blah.torrent": Path not found!

So far every suggestion I've come across has not helped one bit, mostly because I am not fluent in tech-speak! Everything seems to be up to date, latest versions and all, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I believe I need to create a file called "utorrent", with such and such code within it, then make it executable. Problem is, I'm not sure how to create said file, let alone how to make it executable. Another stumbler is not knowing for certain what my computer's path (in Ubuntu) is to uTorrent; I think it's "/host/Program Files/uTorrent". Seems simple enough, but I'd like to be 100% certain that that's the right path.

Please be very simple with an explanation, step by step would be nice.

Thanks!

Nothing? I can't be the only one with this problem. Guess I'll just have to settle with copying and pasting the download URL. I don't mind doing it, but it's kind of annoying. A problem with that however, is when I want to download anything from a private site, I can only use Transmission- for those torrents, the copy/paste method doesn't work on uTorrent. Again, I can live with it if I have to, but I'd like to consolidate all my torrents on uTorrent. Besides, I really like how lightweight uTorrent is. You have very few options with Transmission.

With all due respect, running utorrent on debain or ubuntu for that matter is hardly a issue for the average day computer user. If this is what you are doing, I respect you as a poweruser.

You should know how google works. Please do yourself a favor - and stop asking such simple questions. (seriously, dude).

• 4 weeks later...

A shell scipt to load a torrent from a browser:

Save this into a file:

#!/bin/bash

function mysed {

echo "$@" | sed 's/\//Z:\\/' | sed 's/\//\\/g'

}

wine .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/uTorrent/uTorrent.exe "$(mysed)"

Chmod it to execute then make firefox run the created program when downloading a torrent file.

I was able to get uTorrent installed using Wine, and was able to get .torrent files to open. The one remaining hurdle I have is opening the files from within uTorrent. When using Windows, I was able to double click on an avi file and my media player would open. Now, when I double click, or right click and select open, nothing happens. I can right click and select open containing folder, which allows me to open the folder, but there again I cannot double click on the file to play it. Is there any method, aside from simply going to where the file was downloaded and opening it there? I was thinking that there may be some script like there was with the .torrent association, but I'm not a scripting person.

No matter if it's yes or no, I will stick with uTorrent. Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

I'am using utorrent 1.8.3 with the latest webui with wine (1.1.27), but utorrent does not recognise that I set a default directory for download, and for torrents also. It consistently downloads every new torrents I add (via the webui) to:

/home/root/Downloads

The automatic torrent loading from a specific folder also does not work.

Can anyone help me how to get this done? Maybe I have to follow some speical formatting rules while I set the paths?

Here is the current settings:

utorrent_gui.png

Anyway: it is normal that webui do not asks where to download newly added torrents?

Thank you!

Dchard

Try adding a torrent through the µtorrent client itself first.

If that doesn't work, add a torrent with no default save and then save it to the /mnt/500GB/bittorrent/ folder.

The webui is a bit unpredictable about where it saves torrents. It often ends up putting torrents where the last torrent added was saved. It should put it in the default location if inputted though.

Yes, it is normal that the webui doesn't ask you where to save torrents. This feature was never build into the webui because the security concerns of such a feature have to be carefully considered.

Archived