How To: Run uTorrent on Linux.

NoOneButMe

After some sort of try, it clearly seems that utorrent do not save the settings I've done in webgui --> Preferences.

So every time I have to try something, I have to go back to windows, change what I want, then close utorrent and copy the settings from the windows machine to the linux.

By default, wine setting up two mappings:

\root\.wine\drive_C --y C:\

and

\ --> Z:\

First I've changed my settings to follow the below syntax:

Save torrents to: Z:\mnt\500GB\bittorrent\etc....

Didn't worked: the torrents did not start automatically.

The tried the above syntax:

Z:\\mnt\\500GB\\bittorrent\\etc......

ALso did not worked.

Please some tell me: if the mapping is set correctly in wine, what path naming convetions should I follow?

"yes, it is normal that the webui doesn't ask you where to save torrents. This feature was never build into the webui because the security concerns of such a feature have to be carefully considered."

Tell me: if I have more drives, then what? You serious about such an important thing like the ability to choose the download location is missing from utorrent-'s webgui? Jesus, I've fucked up almost a week to made utorrent run on a headless PC in wine because other torrent client's webgui missing features like the ability to change passkey on a torrent, then it turns out that utorrent's webgui missing more basic, trivial things, like this, which almost every other webgui has...

There is no word for how much I dissapointed...

Dchard

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

Well some admin closed my thread for porting it to Linux.

I'm sure with enough TIME I can F*ck around and get it working the way a simple double click in windows does.

I'm not ungrateful for this awesome program but rather, want the best of the net on one nice system.

Sure, use Wine (once I figure that out). My original concern was to bring up uTorrent numbers IN Ubuntu.

I hope people (and especially admins) understand I don't wanna screw around /w 6 steps to "simply" install uTorrent in Ubuntu.

One click rpm or tz please.

Better yet, the live add/remove programs could use an easy check box /w uTorrent.

Us newbs don't have the patience to get it all working. I mean 6 steps to do what the admins could do ONCE for all of us? (then again I could make my OWN uTorrent, /w blackjack & hookers! LMAO)

Great program tho guys. Better then Azureus 3, 2.5 was alright tho.

Well some admin closed my thread for porting it to Linux.

Because its brought up often enough and the answer is always the same: Not about to happen.

I'm sure with enough TIME I can F*ck around and get it working the way a simple double click in windows does.

May I suggest reading this thread? People posted links to instructions on how to do just that.

I hope people (and especially admins) understand I don't wanna screw around /w 6 steps to "simply" install uTorrent in Ubuntu.

Why are you using an OS where the main benefit is to be able to mess with things if you don't want to do any work?

One click rpm or tz please.

It is one click, on supported OS's. Windows and Mac OS.

Us newbs don't have the patience to get it all working. I mean 6 steps to do what the admins could do ONCE for all of us? (then again I could make my OWN uTorrent, /w blackjack & hookers! LMAO)

Or, you could read and copy/paste. Or just use an OS that actually works how you like, instead of one that doesn't and complaining.

• 3 weeks later...
Default GUI refresh rate in the advanced settings is 1 second.

I don't believe this has anything to do with the redrawing of the window itself, more with the rate that torrent statistics refresh in the window...

For instance if I minimize, or close to the system tray, when I restore the window, it redraws & looks very ugly & is pretty slow about redrawing itself (so slow that I can easily screenshot this behavior).

However, if the window is up & I click another open program on my panel (or "task bar"), µTorrent simply fades to the background & when I re-click on it's button in my window list (on the panel/task bar), it doesn't have to redraw the window and pops up nice & snappy like...

I actually use Linux Mint 6, it just shares it's base with Intrepid i.e. uses same packages...

If I were using Ubuntu, I would just stay away from proprietary software & media altogether, seeing as that is the basic idea behind Ubuntu. I'd use Ogg Vorbis instead of MP3's, Gnash instead of Flash player, etc, etc.

But screw that noise, µTorrent is closed source, yet it is still the best. Prime example why open source is not always the most innovative. Sometimes you need a core team to pick a mission & follow through with it. If µTorrent were open source, it'd probably be another Azureus/Vuze by now & bittorrent would probably be dead...

Mint has all the capabilities of Ubuntu+more.

Just sayin' ;)

Do you have any other applications that close to tray to test with Wine to see if they have redrawing issues as well? I still think this is indeed a Wine issue with restoring hidden applications.

Great idea! I just tried it with a small app called "Tripcode Explorer" and it doesn't close to the system tray, but it does minimize to it. It does redraw when restored, but does it probably about twice as fast as µTorrent. I guess it's probably due to µTorrent using about 13-50 MB of RAM while running under WINE. Is there anyway to reduce µTorrent's RAM usage when running under WINE?8vzyf8.png

• 1 month later...

Hi! I'm running uTorrent 1.8.5 in Ubuntu Karmic, Wine 1.0.1. Everything is fine, except one thing: if I'm downloading something, and doing proper shutdown/restart, after uTorrent starts it rechecks all downloads. I have to exit uTorrent every time before shutdown, or pause all downloads, which is very annoying. Is there some way around this? On one of the sites (don't remember which one) I've found a tip to disable "Close to tray", but it didn't help (I have both "Close to tray" and "Minimize to tray" turned on). Aside from this, it's the best bittorrent client, even on Linux. Thanks!

Thanks for reply! I've installed latest version (1.1.35), and tried again. Unfortunately, it behaves the same - all active downloads are rechecked.

Edit: oops, I think I've misunderstood you. You've talked about latest uTorrent version, not Wine, right? Anyway, I've installed latest beta-version of uTorrent, and everything seems fine - nothing is rechecked! Thanks a lot! Hope to see stable 2.0 version soon!

Edit2: Looks like I've been too optimistic. Right now I've rebooted and, unfortunately, have the same problem: all active downloads are rechecked :-( So the problem is still here.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

That looks like a lot of work.

I just RAN the thing...and it worked!

Doesn't look too pretty, so I suppose I might try all those fonts eventually, but it WORKS!

I'm amazed.

Didn't do anything.

OH, Wine was installed already.

I guess that's important.....

PS This is an edit.

I see that Wine hacks under "Advanced" in uTorrent WAS set as true by default.

So being the dummy that I am, everything was already done, save for the fonts...and I'll just squint. Groaty isn't that bad....

PPS 2nd edit:

Looks a helluva lot better in Ubuntu 10.04 - the only groaty fonts are in the speed graphical panel.

• 2 weeks later...

New to wine here, so don't know if any of these messages are important, -- utorrent comes up, but I don't know if it works yet or not.

BTW -- **side comment*** -- how would I move an existing utorrent config from a Win machine to utorrent-on-linux machine?

It is possible to do a batch replace on the torrent's download directories, as their new directory would be different on the linux server than on the win machine?

----

Wine messages:

> wine "/Share/Software/Inst/Web Content Display, Creation, Tools, etc/utorrent.exe"

fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation 0x110000 0 0x48af20 4

fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation 0xba0000 0 0x48af20 4

fixme:hnetcfg:fw_app_get_Enabled 0x7f2960, 0x7afb20

fixme:hnetcfg:fw_app_put_ProcessImageFileName 0x7f2960, L"Z:\\Share\\Software\\Inst\\Web Content Display, Creation, Tools, etc\\utorrent.exe"

fixme:hnetcfg:fw_app_put_Name 0x7f2960, L"\00b5Torrent"

fixme:hnetcfg:fw_apps_Add 0x7f8e88, 0x7f2960

fixme:winsock:WS_setsockopt Unknown level: 0x00000029

fixme:winsock:WS_setsockopt Unknown level: 0x00000029

WARNING: Trying to create a socket of type SOCK_RAW, this will fail unless you have special permissions.

WARNING: Trying to create a socket of type SOCK_RAW, this will fail unless you have special permissions.

err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {ae1e00aa-3fd5-403c-8a27-2bbdc30cd0e1} not registered

err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {ae1e00aa-3fd5-403c-8a27-2bbdc30cd0e1} not registered

err:ole:create_server class {ae1e00aa-3fd5-403c-8a27-2bbdc30cd0e1} not registered

fixme:ole:CoGetClassObject CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER not supported

err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {ae1e00aa-3fd5-403c-8a27-2bbdc30cd0e1} could be created for context 0x17

err:ole:create_server class {ae1e00aa-3fd5-403c-8a27-2bbdc30cd0e1} not registered

fixme:ole:CoGetClassObject CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER not supported

err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {ae1e00aa-3fd5-403c-8a27-2bbdc30cd0e1} could be created for context 0x17

fixme:keyboard:UnregisterHotKey (0x20034,1): stub

fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_ActivateKeyboardLayout 0x4090409, 0000: semi-stub!

fixme:event:wait_for_withdrawn_state window 0x10054/c0000b wait timed out

fixme:event:wait_for_withdrawn_state window 0x20054/c0000e wait timed out

fixme:heap:RtlCompactHeap (0xba0000, 0x0) stub

fixme:event:wait_for_withdrawn_state window 0x10026/e00005 wait timed out

fixme:event:wait_for_withdrawn_state window 0x20034/c00005 wait timed out

fixme:event:wait_for_withdrawn_state window 0x20034/c00005 wait timed out

------------

FWIW -- I'm displaying this back on a windows box running X(cygwin).

Am trying to run utorrent@wine@linux since I keep getting network file system problems running utorrent@windows using netfs from the linux box.

I've noticed that transmission running on linux never stops during my windows and network file system errors, while utorrent stops on either. At least if utorrent is running on linux box directly, (or using wine), it shouldn't get file problems with network file system problems -- though if windows or X dies, it will still die (just not as a reliable as running with a native daemon on linux)....

• 2 months later...

Install uTorrent on linux is not a little to take the lead, knowing that there is in the official repositories of customers very well built as the transmission? There's even a version without gui, transmission-cli and transmission-daemon to run in the background, transmission-daemon + ssh = total happiness. If you want to be even more geeky can still install ajaxterm to have a terminal with a browser accessible from the port 80. Alternatively install torrent-b4rt which is a php frontend for transmission-cli, bittornado, azureus, and even wget and nzbperl which allows, among other streamer vlc with downloaded movies.

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen a few mentions of request not supported errors with on linux with ntfs partitions, I had the issue with an ntfs partition and file compression while trying to download. Disable file compression from windows. In Linux with ntfs-3g try this and hope you don't explode. Probably wont, but should probably do from Windows IF you still use it and the partition contains system data, otherwise you can hit it all at once:

find /mnt/ntfsmountpoint -type d -exec setfattr -h -v 0x00000000 -n system.ntfs_attrib "{}" \;

Linux method is faster, but wont decompress existing data, so new torrents will need to be restarted with the data erased. Partially done ones moved off the drive and back on worked for me.

Archived