Why are people contributing?

Mr_Man

I would just like to know why everyone that uses torrent clients dont crank up their upload speeds? My Pc has been downloading for like 17 hours now and i have set my upload rate @ 500Kbps. Surely if everyone contributed more of their bandwidth downloading of torrents would be a more pleasant experience for everyone. So please, can everyone turn their upload speeds up a notch?

Damn straight. As it is, I have to share my already limited upload rate with my brother, who likes to play lots of online games.... as of next year NTL are supposedly upgrading EVERYONE to a 10Mb/s service and charging by the amount of bandwidth you use, rather than restricting your speed. We'll see what happens, I suppose. To me that makes more sense though, because you don't have to be limited to a slow speed just because you're not a heavy internet user.

There's a lot of people who are leeching bastards though and set the upload as low as possible (either with the client or NetLimiter), disconnect when finished, and/or use hacked clients. =/

There's no excuse to be a bastard like that, I seeded to full with my crappy ass 256/128 DSL. I seeded for a week and a half to get my ratio up to par on MAME .96 and .97 (.97 came out after 6 days of seeding :P) on that crappy connection. :P

the only thing I could think of is if you have transfer caps, I guess...

Yeah...of course there are leeching losers who don't give back...that's true. :mad: But right now if I wanted to get a T1 line, I'd have to pay the equivalent of about $5,000...clearly not feasible at all. :( I'm just a regular user, not some big ass corporation with unlimited $$$... ;)

the sooner ADSL2 lines become available the better. at the moment im on 1Mbit/256Kbit so its not to bad but i plan on upgrading to the new 24Mbit/2.5Mbit when it comes out here in a few months time :D

as for the slow speeds unfortunately most of the losers from kazaa and limewire have discovered bittorrent and are now abusing it instead.

Chaosblade, i am sorry to mention that, but it is still that way here !!! just call HOT or Bezeq, and ask about the price of those new plans !!! Also, those plans are not really new, they had those options a lot of time, but just started to advertise it.

In short, the 1.5mbps/512kbps from HOT will cost you four times the price of the standard 1.5mbps/128kbps, same prices ratios goes for Bezeq. Note that this is just the line price, never checked how much the ISPs take for those higher upload speeds.

Archived