Fast download/slow upload.

Soggy Bottom

Im on a 24/8 Mb cable connection with no throttling and seems to have some strange speed problems. I just recently changed from utorrent 1.6.1 to latest 1.7.2 and foolish enuff i didnt take notes on what settings i had in the previous ckients setup. Now, with 1.7.2, it looks like i´ve been doing something wrong. I get a very decent download speed, unlimited up to 2.8 Mb/sec, but the upload speed is really lousy. As soon as the torrent are fully downloaded, the upload speed increases dramatically. Like right now, i downloaded at 1.3 Mb/sec and uploaded in average 60k/sec but as soon as download was completed the upload speed just said *swoooosh* and went up to 700k/sec.

My settings:

Global maximum number of connections: 800

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent: 125

Number of upload slots per torrent: 25

Download limit: Unlimited

Upload limit: 750 kB/sec at the moment, but i´ve tried with different setting to no avail.

Could this be considered as reasonable settings for my connection? And why is the upload speed so slow when downloading at the same time? I´m using the ipfilter.dat from Bluetack and it shows that it is blocking peer 192.168.1.1 which is my router, can that have a bad effect on my upload speed when simultaneous download is in progress? Ohh, i´ve also patched my tcpip.sys to 200 connections. I´m on XP Pro.

Hopefully, you did not increase the half open connection rate in µTorrent very much. The default value of 8 should be OVERKILL so long as you're not firewalled in µTorrent (green light).

µTorrent has a massive problem with Windows caching right now that for whatever reason causes slow download/upload speeds -- especially both at once. It usually causes a disk overload error though -- have you ever seen that?

I´ve got the net_max_halfopen at 160 atm, changed it back to 8 to see if it helps. Nope, no disk overload errors yet, had it from time to time before though, with 1.6.1, but it was only intermittent and went away pretty fast.

EDIT: Net_max_halfopen at 8, all of a sudden i have equal high download/upload speed. Im a happy camper now :)

Yes, a half open rate of 160 means trying 160 NEW connections at any given time, assuming there's that many left on the torrents you're not already connected to. That's a brutally high number, not even really needed for a 100 megabits/sec symmetric line...even less so if it's not firewalled in µTorrent. Each one that the connection succeeds even briefly has to go through a handshake process and trade lists of what parts of the torrent it has -- so it can actually use up a surprising amount of bandwidth, maybe even over a KiloBYTE for extreme torrents with 10,000+ pieces. (But probably more like 1/4 KB average.)

Archived