settings changing themselves

losethefire

I just got to university the other day and I am on their wireless internet. I can't port forward properly and I don't think there's any way I can fix that as I can't access router settings, which I'll just have to deal with (unless someone has suggestions!).

My problem right now is that I changed my connection settings to be 130 global connections, 70 per torrent, and 3 upload slots with an upload limit 22. I read these settings were good somewhere, and they seemed to me working well on my computer at home. I changed the settings to these numbers and applied the changes, but after about 10 minutes the numbers change themselves back to much higher numbers. It's happened a couple times and I don't understand.

Would it be because I'm on a school network or something? What can I do?

ps, Sorry if this is in the wrong spot or has been answered somewhere. This seemed to be the appropriate place and I couldn't find the answer anywhere else. Thanks.

Are you... running the Speed Guide any time after you change the settings manually...? And honestly, you should be using the Speed Guide in the first place instead of setting things manually. And if you're using a school network, chances are, you're not going to get a port forwarded, which is important for BitTorrent.

Yeah, I go to look at the speed guide right after I change the settings. I always did that at home and nothing changed, so I didn't realize that it would change the settings.

I'm trying to hook up to DC++ but I have no idea how to connect to my school, someone is gonna come set it up for me eventually. Then I won't have to use uTorrent or anything, the speed is unbearable.

Archived