Multiple Directories

dfgarcia

I searched the forum, read the FAQ, and even browsed the voting page for feature requests, but I'm still a bit confused. (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=5137)?

Am I correct in understanding that if I download a torrent with multiple files, and after downloading I move those files to different locations/directories/folders, I will be unable to seed the whole torrent, as uTorrent only supports one Download Location per torrent? That's a shame.

Okay and thanks for the replies.

Is there a link someone could provide that explains why this is not a feature of uTorrent but it is of other, inferior, resource-hoggin' BT clients? And also why it seems as though it will never be implemented, at least according to the voting results I've seen?

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but in my searching all I've seen is the "no, and it's been asked for before" and not the "why not".

edit: from the rules page:

"2. Think before you post your opinion when you have NO technical data to back it."

I probably won't be able to understand the technical reasons of why this feature isn't or will never be implemented, but I'd like to give it a shot.

Firon & Ultima -

How about OPEN ENDING that aspect of File & .Torrent locations for Advanced / Power Users.

I am sure a lot of us would love to have access to the "Database" / "Records" where the information for .Torrent & Data files are located.

If there is some way to easily manipulate / edit those FIELDS of the records (even manually) that would be great. - Just the location FIELDS.

I'd love to be able to open up an Excel / XML / DB file that contains some of this information that I can change as needed.

It wont be that difficult to implement. I wouldnt mind helping you build that - Quite simple if I could find hooks into the utorrent file/ db / record system

Ok. "Bencoding" I googled for it and tons of articles. I'd appreciate if you'd recommend the clear & authoritative guide - I am sure you know better than someone guy (me) skimming through the haystack trying to find the QUALITY article.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=5076 I am looking through this and several others.

Lets see if you, me or someone can create / has already created a HOW TO guide.

Edit: Firon - Is there a DEFINITIVE thread / plugin / tool you'd recommend reading through / trying?

Still I'm pretty sure that in multi-file torrents the paths are hard-coded into the torrent itself.

Moving the files to different locations is pretty much the same issue as renaming files in a multi-file torrent. For which there are many topics.

Its been said that it might be implemented eventually but its not high on the priority list. Probably because it's quite some work, increases the bloatness of µtorrent and there is only a small group of people who would like to use this option.

Changing the .torrent would not really be an option imho. Instead it would require µtorrent to keep a own (shadow) list of hard-coded torrent paths vs real (manually set) paths for torrents in which files are moved or renamed. That will bloat µtorrent and it would require extra info in the resume.dat or a new .dat file.

And did I mention it's sensitive. Losing this info/.dat-file would mean someone would have to point all the files in his or her multi-torrent to the renamed/moved files all over again.

All I am looking at is having a more CONVENIENT way for doing what is EXISTING functionality in MuTorrent.

Stop > Advanced > Set Download Location. (SASDL)

The only thing is it takes too many menu clicks. There is no BLOATING that functionality. I just want a PLUGIN or a SEPARATE GUI app that I can run when I turn off MuTorrent that does a Multi Column display (like UTorrent + Excel Hybrid) where I can Make TEXT EDITs to the PATHs that the SASDL is already doing.

Make it a separate app or create a simple WRAPPER DLL that someone can use to Databind to it.

Thoughts?

A plugin system has been denied over and over again so that isn't gonna happen. Besides a plugin system could bloat up µtorrent massively.

You could write your own GUI using the webui API but it is limited/incomplete at the moment and does not have the 'set download location' option.

You could write an application that edits the resume.dat file using the bencoding info.

Or are you expecting someone else to do all the work for you just because you find having to mouse click 3 times is inconvenient?

Archived