Port Forwarding Problem (Linksys WRT54G)

Morbid

Hello.

I made the effort to do a search on the forum for a solution to my problem, but was uanble to find one, so I figured I'd post my question.

I'm currently using a Linksys WRT54G (v5)router, with Firmware Version v1.02.2.

I've taken the proper steps to forward my port, via Portforward.com. This included setting up my Static IP. All of which failed. Before upgrading to my WRT54G Router, I was using a much older non wireless Linksys router (We're talking about 6 years old), and my port forwarding worked flawless. The day I switched to my wireless router...no more port forwarding.

I'm an advanced computer user, so I've taken all the precautions to ensure that my firewalls (both Sygate and Windows)are not blocking Utorrent, or that particular port.

I looked up my problem on the FAQ and found this: http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Special_note_for_users_with_Linksys_WRT54G_GL_GS_routers

But that guide stated; [The following note does NOT apply to WRT54G/GS v5 and up! Use the latest official firmware (1.00.9+) with those, they do not suffer from this specific problem (though they do suffer from different problems).]

I sure hope someone can help me, because I can't take these slow speeds any longer! lol

Thanks in advance :)

It's been a while since I looked at the firmware screens but somewhere is a place

where the port number you want forwarded and the corresponding lan IP address

is specified. Have you checked it to see what it says.

Then when you do that, on the problem pc, enter IPCONFIG from a CMD box

and check to see if the ip address matches that specified in the FW config screen.

Static IP addresses need to be set on the computers recieving the forwards.

Those IP addresses need to be OUTSIDE the DHCP range of the router with linksys routers.

Assuming you set the static IP to 192.168.1.136, you have failed to comply with the second point (probably because the portforward.com guide ignores that requirement).

try setting the IP to 192.168.1.36 and adjusting the forward to match.

Certain ADSL modems also contain a mini-router and firewall. Rarely is this the case with cablemodems, but the newest ones do this too. So you have to configure them as well.

I've even heard of ISPs blocking incoming ports by default to prevent customers from running servers OR reduce the chances of getting virus infections.

I am running Sygate on my computer, but I've made sure that uTorrent and that port are not blocked :(

Fortunately I've got cable, instead of DSL, but I don't think there is a firewall on the modem, or that the ISP is blocking incoming ports. As I said before, this problem started the very day I changed my router :( It's very discouraging to me, lol.

I'm using a WRT54G as well, however v.3 with v4.21.1 firmware.

Try as I might I can not forward ports.

I'm using starting ip 192.168.1.100 and for tcp/ip i have it set up like so:

and then both of my DNS servers.

I was using DD-WRT firmware for abit there and I could forward ports just fine, however I randomly started getting some serious slowdowns so i switched back to Linksys firmware and just can't forward ports now.

as far as I know I have everything set up right, anyone have any input on this?

EDIT: forgot to mention I am using at&t DSL with PPPOE on the modem, it's still somewhat new to me (use to cable) so it is quite possible I am just doing something wrong here.

Linksys routers WON'T port forward to an ip within their DHCP range.

So if you have DHCP enabled on that router, then whatever ip range it uses CANNOT be used with port forwarding.

Port triggers *MIGHT* work, but would be (incredibly) unreliable.

UPnP also might work, but that will create another networking bottleneck that can cause problems later on. (You can't use as extreme settings with UPnP as you can with manual port forwarding as far as I know for most networking hardware and software.)

Switeck: I was under the impression that I'm not within the DHCP range. If I'm incorrect could you please provide me with an example that might work?

I'd like to skip the Port Triggers, because as you said, they're in reliable.

I also tried UPnP, but had no luck with that :(

Sorry, just restating the obvious...wasn't meaning you're actually trying to do that. :P

Have you tried flashing the firmware BIOS to newer/different versions?

I think there's even a couple chopped-down 3rd party firmwares for the 'lesser' versions of Linksys routers. But good luck on that, as it's only 3rd hand hearsay.

Switeck,

I run a Linksys wrt54gl with the thibor 15c firmware.

It most certainly does allow port forwarding within it's dhcp range.

In fact that's the way I did it, never bothered creating a static ip.

Works great. I ensure that the pc picks up the correct IP address by limiting the

dhcp range within the router!

Cheers,

Dave

Yep, I agree...with a 3rd party OS (rewrite), a computer just isn't the same as it was before. :lol:

So let me correct my statement to this:

The Linksys routers with "official" firmware generally do NOT handle port forwarding to an ip in the dhcp range.

However there might be a distinction between forwarding into the DHCP range...a STATIC ip in that range might be treated differently than a dynamic ip. :P

Morbid,

Try the 3rd party route. Linksys doesn't have a huge financial incentive to make a bug-less firmware with every "bells-and-whistles" imaginable. Worst you can do to my knowledge is brick the router such that you have to do a factory reset to it. Had that happen to mine once. Was up and running again in about 2 hours (once I realized how to reset it and reflash it.)

Well...no one is going to believe this, and I honestly can't explain it.

I haven't changed anything in the last couple of days, and I opened up uTorrent today to download something small, and according to uTorrent, my port is properly forwarded.

Canyouseeme.org still says it can't see it, but as I said, utorrent says I'm good o.O Not that I'm complaining, but I'm really confused.

Hi, I've been having the same problem with the same router, firmware v2.02.7, for about a year. Sometimes it decides to forward properly, sometimes not. It will not work for a week, then work for a month. Trying to forward a port sometimes works immediately, sometimes not for days. It doesn't make any sense at all except that the router just sucks.

Go into your router logs and see what sort of traffic in and out is hitting your router.

I doubt it'll help, but maybe it will let you see if there's possible overloads that way.

I've found a virus on a computer on my network that way...it was making strange outgoing connections just after being booted.

Archived