can't kill utorrent.exe process

dazz0r

Hi,

utorrent works fine but when i close it the trouble starts.

i close it, no pictogram in the taskbar anymore but in the taskmanager there is still a process utorrent.exe running.

For 1 is this using memory but the biggest problem is that my internet is a whole lot slower when it is running.

The only way to kill the process is restarting but thats not really practical.

When i click on end process nothing happens.

Anyone an idee why this is?

Utorrent version: 1.7.4

C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\WISPTIS.EXE

C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ink\TabTip.exe

C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe

C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe

C:\Program Files\UltraMon\UltraMon.exe

C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe

C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\acrotray.exe

C:\Program Files\EasyPHP 2.0b1\EasyPHP.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe

C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe

C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe

C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.EXE

C:\Program Files\UltraMon\UltraMonTaskbar.exe

C:\Windows\system32\WTablet\TabUserW.exe

C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe

C:\Program Files\Skype\Plugin Manager\skypePM.exe

C:\Windows\system32\conime.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink\InputPersonalization.exe

C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE

C:\Program Files\K-Lite Codec Pack\Media Player Classic\mplayerc.exe

C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgwb.dat

C:\Windows\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe

C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe

C:\Program Files\Opera\Opera.exe

G:\Prog\HiJackThis_v2.exe

I don't know what any of this is...and it's also possible even if a legit program has the same filename, a virus/trojan may use that same name (and be in a different location) to make you think it's the real one.

C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe

C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\WISPTIS.EXE

C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe

C:\Windows\system32\conime.exe

C:\Windows\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe

C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe

These 2 programs have been implicated in causing problems before:

C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe

Zone Alarm just for being especially crash-happy on Vista, and Media Player for changing MP3 data tags in media files...thus corrupting downloads so they're no longer 100% finished.

I'll try that.

But on the log of my router i get the folowing when utorrent is running

09/09/2007 10:04:51 **smurf** 58.41.87.0, 9907->> 'myip', 54237

09/09/2007 10:03:08 **smurf** 62.164.241.255, 55598->> 'myip', 54237

09/09/2007 09:57:52 **smurf** 83.49.18.255, 17674->> 'myip', 54237

can this have anything to do with it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am having the very same problem, very similar environment.

Windows Vista, ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

I have had the problem of µtorrent freezing (and not being able to close) or manual close and than being unable to kill utorrent.exe.

I started running the program as Administrator shortly after I first encountered the problem, but it's not a guarantee that µtorrent would work - sometimes it works for days, sometimes just for hours.

When µtorrent crashes in that manner, you actually have to reboot, because you cannot end utorrent.exe neither via task manager nor PSKill (from Sysinternals) - the exe file still remains active. (Hovering the systray icon always shows the bandwidth rates when utorrent stopped working).

Any news about that topic?

Btw - I have had this issue with ALL versions since 1.7.1

Cheers

~Harry

Hi.

I have the same problem with utorrent taking a very long time to actually shutdown (i.e. it is no longer in the system tray but continues to run the process).

So far I have been able to discover that this is due to disk activity as for some reason it sometimes decides to convert all it's part-files into full blown files even though the settings are not to pre-allocate the files, it still does it anyway when it shuts down (with or without the "bt.graceful_shutdown").

Now this is all fine and dandy when the files are small, as it shuts down rather quickly, but when the files in question are in 10's of GB, it will take ages to actually carry out the process having it not allow itself to be killed.

I discovered this because I once started running out of disk space when by my calculations I should have had much more. It turned out that 3 files of (22GB, 19GB & 8GB), which I had marked as "skip" were being created by utorrent during the shutdown process.

Now before you ask if I have the utorrent settings properly configured, the answer is yes, they are correct and have been the same since a very long time. The files are only created during the shutdown process and not during normal operation.

However, this kind of utorrent behaviour is something that I have noticed in more recent versions but am unable to remember at which precise version it began to occur.

Regards,

Carnino

PS! Running Standard Windows XP SP2, with no other Firewall running on any other software. This machine only runs utorrent and nothing else.

• 3 weeks later...

i see this problem was being reported since july 2007, so may be it is new 1.7 utorrent or some Vista update?

look:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=575390

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=589187&st=0&gopid=588921536entry588921536

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread85965.html

i have this problem too.

i notice it with Limewire also.

Have Vista x64

dazz0r said: "But on the log of my router i get the folowing when utorrent is running"

dazz0r, if that is your outgoing router logs...it's something your computer is doing.

If it's incoming, that's not your doing.

Since it's connecting to the same port on your computer, I'd say it's incoming and represents probably some kind of slightly mangled packet...possibly data corruption on another computer's end, a badly coded BitTorrent client, or hostile ISP interference.

Did you ever research the program names I mentioned as possible viruses?

I have the same problem, and I had it with Azureus and eMule as well. uTorrent.exe is still running, even 2 hours after I clicked Exit. I tried to kill the process with many different progs (KillBox, Hijack This, ProcessKill) but no luck. The only way is to restart the computer.

I have Vista Business and free Zone Alarm (but I don't think it's ZA's fault, I turned it off before trying to Exit uTorrent, but it didn't help).

Anyone with ideas? It's so annoying and it looks like no one knows the answer.

podlack, Zone Alarm keeps running in the background even if you close it.

You'll have to try uninstalling Zone Alarm to remove its corrupting influence.

Even Process Explorer (or CTRL+ALT+DEL menu in Win XP/Vista) can't find and shut down all its DLLs...and if you somehow did, it'd crash the computer. :lol:

guys, you were absolutely right! after uninstalling ZA, every process I had problem with (uTorrent.exe, Azureus.exe, eMule.exe), disappears after I click Exit. now I have to find the firewall which doesn't collide with them (I activated Windows Firewall for a time being). Any suggestions?

Comodo Firewall works too, but it's a real pain to set up properly. It pops a bunch of warnings up -- way more than even ZA, if I'm remembering correctly. Luckily, it wasn't my computer that it was installed on (but a friend's xD). Nevertheless, it does work fine with µTorrent.

• 3 years later...

I have been having the same Problem

The only thing is from the time I start Utorrent up my computer runs slower and the process is constantly loading memory until it gets to about 115,090K and then my computer runs so slow that I can hardly restart it. I also cannot kill the process and also no matter what torrent I am trying to download my download speed never passes about 40kb/s

I am using windows XP SP 3 (I think its 3) but I also tried using BitTorrent, and vuze and all of them do the same thing. I dont know if its something to do with my computer or my internet provider, but I would love any help you can aid me with and if nothing seems to work it looks like my torrenting days are over.

I also use comodo and have been, all of my Utorrent settings are set up correctly as well as my comodo

Archived