Download speed limited to 25 kB/s !!!!!

GTI WR6

Hi,

Since today morning my download speed is stuck at 25 kB/s. I've started downloading a 2GB file yesterday and and downloaded at 150 kB/s. I closed it at night and when I started it again today, the speed is only 25 kB/s. Wont go higher than that.

It's been working fine for the past few weeks and I dont know what happened today. I was using vers 1.7.2 and then upgraded to 1.7.4 and nothing changed. download speed was still 25 kB/s.

my upload speed is set at 10 kB/s and that hasn't caused any slowdown in download speed for the past few weeks. my download speed in the Preferences is set to 0 (unlimited).

Can someone please suggest what kind of changes I should make in the configuration to get my download speed back to what it was?

Cheers.

my ports forwarded and speed guide says that my port is forwarded. I am using Sky broadband 4MB/s connection.

some of my settings

Upload limit: 10 kb/s

Connections: 50

Max number of Active Torrents: 3

Upload Slots: 4

Connections (global):200

Max Active Downloads: 2

I use windows XP SP2 and have AVG free edition

Your average upload speed PER upload slot is potentially less than 1 KiloBYTE/sec...below what's typical for many other µTorrent clients. So they get the lion's share of a peer's upload speed back to them, and you get crippled download speeds...at least on large torrents with few seeds per peers. That's BitTorrent's tit-for-tat system at work...just not in a way that's very friendly to you.

Even with just the 1 torrent going, 4 upload slots means your 10 KiloBYTES/sec is split 4 ways. Someone receiving 2.5 KiloBYTES/sec download from you will have little incentive to send alot back your way when they're ALSO receiving 5+ KiloBYTES/sec from multiple other peers. They may in fact give you nothing.

But for what it's worth, you still seem to be downloading faster than you're uploading. Everyone cannot do that.

Archived