What is the proper way to exit µTorrent?

griezzel

I seem to remember reading this somewhere months ago but now can't find where it is. I've read all the topic titles in the FAQ section and skimmed the Guides.

I think I remember that it's important to exit the right way so that sites will record statitics correctly. It matters to me now since I'm a member of a private site that requires you maintain a high share ratio.

even exiting utorrent in a proper way it still will not remember the last state when reboot since the drive c is freeze. it means everything added or change in the system it will be erase in the next reboot. however downloads are save because the drive d: is not freeze. Hope you have tried using deep freeze from faronics. it will prevent any change from the disk in the next rebbot it will just remember the current config setting of all program.

Thanks for that info but it didn't really answer my question, which is: What is the proper way.

I read on my private site's forum that it's very important to exit your client in the correct manner, but what is that?

The way I do it now is: When I want to exit µTorrent I first pause all the downloads and uploads. I then wait about 5 to 10 minutes (depending on my patience) until the activity is below 1kB/s, then click Exit µTorrent, and close the program. Sometimes I even Stop the torrents after having them on pause for a while, then exit.

I need to know if I'm doing it right. Or is there something to look for as a sign it's OK to exit?

?

When µTorrent exits, it automatically stops all started torrents and sends the stop announce to the respective trackers with the proper statistics. So exiting any time is fine.

The only possible problem that may crop up is when a tracker doesn't properly receive the announce at exit. In that case, you can check Preferences > Advanced and set bt.graceful_shutdown to true. That'll cause µTorrent to take a bit longer to shut down, but it should make sure that the tracker responds properly to the stop announce before µTorrent fully exits.

TYVM

So it's not necessary for me to go thru the procedure of waiting for the activity to subside before exiting? And I can simply exit exit abruptly at anytime without worrying about negative consequences?

Interesting. Because I know I've read several things that say otherwise, but, of course, you are the voice of authority and, of course, I will believe what you tell me and just disregard all the rest as hearsay.

Thanks again!

Yes, you can exit "abruptly" as long as it's not a crash or a forced quit (from Task Manager or something) :P I wouldn't call myself a voice of authority (as I've been known to make mistakes in what I post), but yes, people that say otherwise about the safety of exiting in the middle of transfers are incorrect :)

Archived