My uTorrent problem: Error: The system cannot find the path specified.

SmashMan

Hello all. I've enjoyed using uTorrent as my primary client until this problem arose. The torrent I am currently downloading halts and uTorrent tells me "Error: The system cannot find the path specified."

I did a little research on this particular problem and found that it has something to do with the filename and the files. I did notice that the file names do indeed exceed the 255 character limit. So, I followed the directions described here (http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#While_torrenting_I_get_error_the_system_cannot_find_the_path_specified) and created a folder closer to the root (C:\T). Unfortunately, I'm still encountering problems.

Besides sticking around and having the restart the downloading process every time the uTorrent halts the torrent, is there anything I can do? Many thanks in advance.

It's pretty hacky, because Explorer can't browse/manipulate files and folders exceeding the path length, and a lot of applications can't deal with files prepended with \\?\ (which is how you bypass the path limitation). So I wouldn't consider it real support.

As far as I know, long UNC WAS implemented into µT (I'll have to check and make sure), but obviously only works on NTFS.

Archived