slow speed with USB modem

auntymacassa

I can't connect to the internet via a phone line as I live in a remote area of scotland, but I use a Vodafone USB modem. It works like a mobile phone and has a sim card. It connects at around 230 Kbps but I can only download from utorrent at under 1 kBs. I'm new to all this so perhaps I'm doing something wrong, or this USB modem won't work with torrents. I really don't have a clue. Can anyone help?

That will likely be a very crippled connection at best -- barely better than dial-up for torrents.

Have you determined your effective upload speed?

Run Speed Guide (CTRL+G) and used the closest setting to that upload speed?

Have you changed any of µTorrent's advanced settings?

Have you tried the troubleshooting guide?:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

It wavers between 16 and 20Kbps on a test. I just can't seem to open a port. I've followed all the troubleshooting guides. The modem isn't listed in portforward.com so no help there. It doesn't help that I haven't a clue what I'm doing. i think I've grasped the concept of ip adresses and I've had a go at trying to open a port in the windows firewall and the router, but nothing seems to have any effect. I tried contacting vodafone, but the help desk hadn't a clue what i was saying! (I think it is more concerned with mobile 'phones.)

Redo the troubleshooting guide...knowing how things failed is as important as knowing WHAT failed.

If you want more help, we need to know.

In Speed Guide (CTRL+G), if you can upload semi-steady between 16-20 KiloBYTES/sec then you may be able to get away with xx/192k setting but if not you'll need to use xx/128k. In either case, I'd reduce the total number of global and per torrent connections considerably due to the USB connection.

Archived