This scared me a little...

ppentz

Not sure where to post this, but here goes ...

The last few nights I've left uTorrent running simply seeding a couple files. When I'd check it in the morning, there would always be an error indicating a problem with Zone Alarm (sorry I don't know the exact error, if it happens again I'll post it). When I clear the error, Zone Alarm is left disabled (the big X symbol on the task icon). I didn't think too much of it, I just restarted Zone Alarm, but the last time it happened, almost immediately after restarting it I got an alarm from ZA that a specific IP was trying to access my computer. At first I figured it came from uTorrent, but I have it configured as an allowed program in ZA so I don't think it came from there.

Has anyone else had that happen?

Do I need to be concerned? Is it possible there is a vulnerability in uTorrent that will allow a remote PC to disable ZA and gain access?

Paul

As far as is known, µTorrent doesn't have an remote machine-controlling exploits.

Now another question is...Is there a vulnerability in Zone Alarm that will allow a remote PC to gain access? And the answer is, possibly...if the reported vulnerabilities to BugTraq are anything to go by.

Zone Alarm definitely interferes with µTorrent, and almost certainly blocks traffic meant for µTorrent even when µTorrent is allowed access.

From what you're saying, it sounds like the alarm I got from ZA *could* have been from uTorrent. I haven't noticed ZA causing any problems, both download and upload are good as far as I can tell. This is purely speculation, but maybe there is a short delay between activating ZA and loading the allowed programs so the uTorrent traffic set off the alarm.

What kind of interference does ZA cause?

Archived