µTorrent 1.7.7 released

Firon

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a bug!

In my Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit uTorrent 1.7.6 can't browse throw directoryes with system "File Open Dialog".

Second, while creating torrent-file for directory it's not possible to select this directory from directory-tree, uTorrent gives only "My documents" directory with several sub-directorys in own dialog box. Only way in this case - entering full path in address-fiels of this dialog box by hands.

In version 1.7.5 all was Ok.

In version 1.8 (build 7928) - all is ok.

(sorry for my english, I only studing now)

Vista Ultimate 64bit version.

Build 1.7.6 (the newest) crashes my computer with the BSD (blue screen of Death).

When I restore my computer to version 1.7.5 everything works perfect.

I've tried to let utorrent update automaticaly to 1.7.6 and I've tried to install it the "normal way" with and without uninstalling 1.7.5 first.

Same result.

PLease Advice

The whole thing. Feel free to not continue using uT. It is your choice after all. But I bet uninstalling just one program will make the crashing go away. If you don't want to paste the logfile go through http://utorrent.com/faq.php#Incompatible_software first to see if your problem may be related to known incompatible programs.

I've been using uT for a long time and I've been very satisfied with it.

Never had any problems until now.

1.7.5 seems stable on my system

The only app I have in the list is ObjectDock - do you suggest that this causes 1.7.6 to crash ?

I can post the entire log - it just seemed a bit long to post in a forum

i am using 1.7.7 perfectly, checked the checking for updates no issues.

all i did was drop the new 1.7.7 in the utorrent directory and load it, showed 1.7.7 and it's working fine and downloading LINUX and some other freeware at good speed.

never had issues with 1.7.6 either.

Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit here but a friend with 64bit didnt have issues either.

thanks for the quick updates.

From my torrent community news site...

uTorrent 1.6.1

[2008-01-21]

There was never any clear information about 1.6.1, if it was a target of the exploit or not, but there is now video evidence that supports this, 1.6.1 is NOT affected by the exploit and has therefor been unbanned from ****.

We're sorry for all the trouble this has caused, but all we wanted in the end was to keep everyone out of harms way.

http://nxnod.net/utorrent

uTorrent < 1.7.6 banned

[2008-01-20]

We have now banned all previous versions of uTorrent because of a serious bug that affected all uTorrent versions below 1.7.6, get the latest version and everything should be working like usual.

I'm still using utorrent 1.6.1 and it's working great. Are there any benefits in ugrading to 1.7.7 and are all the security problems fixed?

Cheers!

Yea, extra features, and you get help when things go wrong? lol

The sequential upgrade of 1.7.6 and 1.7.7 were due to public published finding of exploits to crash the client (which anyone will say is not the preferred behaviour). Any site disallowing 1.7 line is run by lazy admins and should not be frequented.

Edit: By the way, they're a bit slow to the uptake.. at least they got wind of the news within a week >< There's a new version out.

The main benefit from ugrading to 1.7.7 would be the fixes for several remote crash exploits, one of which has existed since µTorrent 1.4 (when the extension protocol was first implemented in µTorrent), and another which has existed since 1.6 (when webUI was introduced -- assuming the user was using webUI).

OK, so what is the real story regarding 1.6.1. New comment by Firon on page one [1/25] says ALL previous versions, but developers [Ryan] have said differently. I don't really care what 'system' has to say about this, I'd like to hear from someone on the utorrent team. We have members on our site who are having no issues with 1.6.1 and are reluctant to update. We are also about to ban some old versions.

hi, i am currently using utorrent 1.7.5, and i am in the middle of a download, for some reason my utorrent wont update, so i decided to download directly from the site, and i have a question, because i am in the middle of a download, and then i download utorrent 1.7.7, will it affect my downloads, will it start again or what???

@Rollo: There was some miscommunication when 1.7.6 was announced that caused the changelog for 1.7.6 to initially include 1.6.x as an affected branch (when in fact it isn't affected by that bug). The latest version (1.7.7) actually does fix a potential security flaw that has existed in µTorrent's implementation of the extension protocol since 1.4.

Which change?

--- 2008-01-25: Version 1.7.7 (build 8179)

- Fix: (potential) remote crash bug with extension protocol (affects all 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, and 1.8 builds released to date)

Archived