Is Windows' AppleTalk used?

Rob8UrChips

Hi Folks,

Couldn't find an answer in FAQ's or a forum search. And I'm unsure if this should be in the Troubleshooting forum, but as uTorrent is working OK I thought I'd try here first.

Does uTorrent use Apple Talk (in Windows 2000 Pro) for any purpose when I'm connected to a seed or peer?

I ask because I recently discovered I had an Event Viewer. The System Log and the Application Log is both reporting AppleTalk errors and warnings, and folk in a different help-forum have said I should just disable all AppleTalk services if I don't have a Mac on my network (which I don't).

But I'm reluctant to follow they're kind advice as no-one can tell me if disabling AppleTalk will adversely interfere with uTorrent uploads and/or downloads.

So I'm stuck and in need of your sage guidance. Any and all definitive advice will be gratefully received.

ADDITIONAL INFO.

The following is background/further info that I think you wouldn't need to read - but I've been told before to be as full as possible from the outset - and it'll show you just how stupid I really am. So here goes.

About six weeks ago my computer was crashing around once a day. A help-site told me to look at the Event Viewer Logs. Among other entries were thousands of repeating and repeated AppleTalk errors and warnings.

Ages before I had deleted the Apple Talk folder thinking that Apple Mac things had no place in a Windows environment.

As I don't have a Windows installation or Repair disk the attempted fix was to download Miramar's PC MacLAN on free trial. This stopped the thousands of repeating AppleTalk errors and still works to date.

But I still have the following entries on bootup.

In the System Log:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: AppleTalk

Event Category: None

Event ID: 15

Date: 11/09/2007

Time: 20:41:56

User: N/A

Computer: WISE

Description:

No adapter is configured to be the default adapter. Appletalk was not initialized on any adapter. Services over AppleTalk e.g. Print Server, File Server etc. will not be functional unless a default adapter is specified.

Data:

0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 5c 00 ......\.

0008: 00 00 00 00 0f 00 00 c0 .......À

0010: 2d 01 04 00 00 00 00 00 -.......

0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

{This entry appears 8 times with a different value for lana in each}

Event Source: RemoteAccess

Event ID: 20082

Time: 20:46:57

Description:

The Remote Access Server could not reset lana 17 (the error code is the data) and will not be active on it.

Data:

0000: 00000023

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: RemoteAccess

Event ID: 20192

Time: 20:46:58

Description:

A certificate could not be found. Connections that use the L2TP protocol over IPSec require the installation of a machine certificate, also known as a computer certificate. No L2TP calls will be accepted.

I've included the RemoteAccess entries in this Post as I'm unsure if they're relevant to uTorrent operation or functionality. A word on this would be useful too, my friend.

Also on bootup the next five entries appear in the Application Log (and used to be repeated thousands of times before I found PCMacLAN).

Event Source: atkctrs

Event ID: 3001

Time: 20:44:01

Description:

Unable to open ATK device for R access. Returning IO Status Block in Data.

Data:

0000: a0 86 01 00 00 00 00 00 ......

Event Source: Perflib

Event ID: 2002

Time: 20:47:47

Description:

The open procedure for service "AppleTalk" in DLL "C:\WINNT\system32\atkctrs.dll" has taken longer than the established wait time to complete. There may be a problem with this extensible counter or the service it is collecting data from or the system may have been very busy when this call was attempted.

Event Source: atkctrs

Event ID: 3001

Time: 20:47:48

Description:

Unable to open ATK device for R access. Returning IO Status Block in Data.

Data:

0000: 58 12 18 00 00 00 00 00 X.......

Event ID: 1008

Time: 20:47:48

Description:

The Open Procedure for service "AppleTalk" in DLL "C:\WINNT\system32\atkctrs.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. Status code returned is data DWORD 0.

Data:

0000: 3b 00 00 00 ;...

Event ID: 1008

Time: 20:47:49

Description:

The Open Procedure for service "Nbf" in DLL "C:\WINNT\system32\perfctrs.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. Status code returned is data DWORD 0.

Data:

0000: 02 00 00 00 ....

I suspect these Application Log errors are permanent because I deleted the original Apple Talk folder and my system reports them prior to PCMacLAN kicking in on bootup.

The solution I've been advised to try, but am unsure how it'll affect uTorrent, is this:

"If you, do not use a Macintosh in your network, you can get rid of this message in the following way:

1. Go to Control Panel -> Add/remove programs -> Windows Components -> other network and print services, and remove both AppleTalk services (file sharing and print), then reboot.

2. Go to Control Panel -> Network and dialup -> <your connection> -> properties and from the components window remove the AppleTalk services."

Sorry this Post is so lengthy, but I don't want to risk mucking up uTorrent by doing something any more foolish than I already have.

Thanks for your time and patience - and specially if you've read all of this.

Archived