RED ! but GREEN OK

teapot75

I have the RED ! at the bottom of the program but when i test to see if port is forwarded under OPTIONS , SPEEDGUIDE i get

"Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 10101 on ???.???.???...

OK! Port 10101 is open and accepting connections.

You will be able to receive incoming BitTorrent connections."

but the RED ! says Not Connectable? any ideas please.

Are you forwarding both TCP and UDP protocols?

If only TCP, the port test online will pass OK but µTorrent will be firewalled on UDP for DHT traffic.

...If you disable DHT (because you don't need it), then UDP forwarding is unnecessary.

May I inquire why DHT would be unnecessary? What are the advantages and disadvantages of having it enabled or disabled? Does it matter much? I haven't seen info on it (though I remember vague explanations with jargon confusing me ;)

DHT helps you find more peers and seeds to connect to on the torrents you're running.

DHT won't work with private torrents. DHT will still run, using bandwidth -- but not give you anything in terms of extra peers and seeds to connect to.

DHT will help next-to-none on really big torrents where you ALREADY have more peers and seeds than you can reasonably connect to.

DHT probably won't help on the obscure "dead" torrent with no remaining seeds or distributed copies...there's simply nobody out there to find that would have all of that torrent!

Peer Exchange is similar, except the peers and seeds on the torrent you're on tells you OTHER peers and seeds on the same torrent.

Archived