torrent could not be opened

r0nbo

all of a sudden I am getting an error message when downloading a torrent. such and such a torrent could not be opened because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences.

WHat the heck is it talking about? I have reinstalled utorrent and checked all file associations and it points to utorrent of course. I am stumped on this one and cant find any reference to it in the troubleshooting. Must I change to another bittorrent program? I rather like this one and dont want to do so.

1.7.5 version

Did that yesterday. Didnt help any. Still get the error message. Using Firefox and just for grins I opened IE and tried the same torrent. It downloaded fine and opened Utorrent when clicked on. Firefox automatically trys to open the torrent and if it cant it doesnt even download the torrent so I am thinking its something to do with FF for some reason. Everything else works fine with FF.

well it never asked and no I didnt. I had forgotten that FF has its own associations even. So now I went and deleted the association and it at least downloads a torrent and I can manually open it. I didnt tell it to automatically open it this time. At least I got it work that far. Thanks for the info. I knew it had do be something I couldnt find cause its worked all this time with no trouble but why did this recent utorrent upgrade mess it up I wonder. Oh well

well I missed it I guess and no the button is NOT greyed out and I cant figure out how to grey it out. utorrent is not in the file associations of FF now at all so I assume it will sort itself out. I thought the whole idea was to associate torrents with a program not unassociate them. See what happens when you get old? You forget that stuff isnt supposed to make sense. hahaha

• 4 weeks later...

ive just re installed u torrent,when trying to d/load ,i keep getting this message....torrent could not be opened because the associated helper application does not exist,change the association in your preferences,first of all i dont know where to find preferences ,and secondly once ive found it how do you change the association,it was working fine before i re installed it ,please any one i need help.

Archived