XML Backup

KnHawke

Whis would be for people that wish to make sure to Backup things for when/if they have to Format/Reload their system (As I have to more often than I like)

Maybe something as simple as clicking on HELP -> Backup, to send information about your currently running torrents (Or stopped) into an XML file that uTorrent can import at a later time and/or date. Kinda like what BitComet does, except all contained in one file.

Excellent program BTW, I'm a convert ;)

• 1 month later...
That's not really necessary. Just make a backup of your %AppData%\uTorrent folder, and bam. :P

If you only want to preserve your settings and nothing else, just make a backup of settings.dat and dht.dat

That is correct. BUT, for example, my computer crashes very often, like 2 times a day. Even though I backup my resume.dat file, when the computer resumes from crash and I overwrite the empty resume.dat with my backuped one there are still no jobs in list. uTorrent overwrites the resume.dat file from my backup with an empty one. So I have to re-add 200 torrents manually.

This drives me nuts at some points, really.

I'm not even asking for an extra feature like the backup interval (although it would be nice to automatically backup the file at every 5,10,etc. minutes or when a job is added/removed), I'm just asking for a safe way to backup this file so I don't have to add 200 torrents manually and to wait for hash-checking several hours.

How 'bout uhm.. you fix your computer instead? =p

How about we all got P4's or X2's and the developers didn't think about a low resource consumming program?

On-topic

I just stated my problem. If something can be done, ok, I will be most grateful. If not ... again ok. I'm not going back 2 bitcomet anyway.

But there's really no point in implementing some XML output backup thingy in my opinion...

I did not mentioned XML in my post. I just said "safe way". And I posted here because I thought the solution to my problem would be an implementation of a backup feature and also because I tried the solution which Firon provided and didn't work. I leave it to the developer's appreciation what method they would use ... if they will use one :).

You have to close µTorrent BEFORE overwriting resume.dat, and quickly. In fact, if you see it come up as blank, close it immediately, delete resume.dat, and rename resume.dat.old to resume.dat

Also, are you using auto-load by any chance?

Please note that the auto-load folder CANNOT be either %Appdata%\uTorrent, OR the folder you specified for "Store .torrent files in." If you use the same folders for both, you WILL have problems.

You have to close µTorrent BEFORE overwriting resume.dat, and quickly. In fact, if you see it come up as blank, close it immediately, delete resume.dat, and rename resume.dat.old to resume.dat

Also, are you using auto-load by any chance?

Of course I closed µTorrent before overwriting the resume.dat file. And I closed it again when I saw it came up blank, I waited for µTorrent to disappear from the process list and then overwrite it again. Still no torrents... I am not using auto-load because my downloaded torrents are spread across the HDD. As far as I understand auto-load this could be useful when I have all my downloaded files stored in the same location. Am I wrong?

Last night I switched to the last beta, 386. And of course I got lucky and a power failure occured. After the power failure it's true I didn't loose all my torrents in the list, but from ~200 torrents only 10% were there.

would it help to schedule a batch op to run every few minutes that backs up the files, and put a different op on startup that replaces the files from backup, THEN starts µT?

How 'bout uhm.. you fix your computer instead? =p

unlike the other "Buy a new computer" suggestions we see, this one is actually applicable.. Come on, fixing computer != buying new computer..

In Belze's case it sounds pretty well hosed and either needs hardware checked & replaced, better drivers, or a complete windows reinstall. (Probably the latter by now even it is hardware based, by now.)

It does seem like utorrent should read the resume.dat.bak file if resume.dat is truncated or otherwise corrupted though. If it already does this then there isn't much else it can do.

As for the original request, I don't think it's too hard to do start->run->"%appdata%/utorrent"->rightclick->send to disk/usb. But that's just my opinion.

Archived