Port Open when its not?????

ohwell

When I click on Options/SpeedGuide the window opens and click on the Test If Port Forwarded correctly, The message says YES. However, the symbol in the middle of the bottom bar says it is NOT forwarded correctly. I have a 8Mb DSL connection, my download speed ATM, is, 22.1K and my upload speed is 40.2K, has anyone got any ideas as to why this speed (lack of) is happening, and what can be done to rectify it?? Thanks in advance

If your ISP happens to be Tiscali (or something similar), it's probably because they throttle the heck out of BitTorrent traffic.

You can certainly try the Troubleshooting Guide to see if anything helps:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

You probably aren't getting 8 megabits/sec both down and up...BitTorrent is VERY upload-conscious.

Test If Port Forwarded correctly is a website/web browser test to see if your computer can be connected to on a certain port by that website using regular HTTP web traffic.

µTorrent's green/yellow/red light firewall test has to do with whether it's received any incoming BitTorrent traffic on the port it's listening on.

These are similar but not identical things.

Did you forward TCP and UDP on the same port that µTorrent is listening on?

DHT in µTorrent uses UDP, almost everything else uses TCP.

Find local peers uses multicast I think...something different still! So I think find local peers needs to be disabled if you're behind a router.

Have you ever (briefly?) seen the green light in µTorrent?

Is your modem a modem/router/firewall combo?

(look it up using GOOGLE searches or go to the maker's website and look)

If it is, you have to configure it as well....though it probably isn't if you're able to pass the "Test If Port Forwarded correctly" test. :P

Lastly, Tiscali may be blocking BitTorrent traffic -- causing µTorrent's green/yellow/red light firewall test to fail in spades...but the "Test If Port Forwarded correctly" which uses regular HTTP web traffic has no problem passing at all!

Did you forward TCP and UDP on the same port that µTorrent is listening on?

DHT in µTorrent uses UDP, almost everything else uses TCP.

YES

Find local peers uses multicast I think...something different still! So I think find local peers needs to be disabled if you're behind a router.

DONE

Have you ever (briefly?) seen the green light in µTorrent?

Yes, it was OK for all of last week.

Is your modem a modem/router/firewall combo?

(look it up using GOOGLE searches or go to the maker's website and look)

If it is, you have to configure it as well....though it probably isn't if you're able to pass the "Test If Port Forwarded correctly" test.

My modem/router is a Netgear DG834G, i have been to Portforward.com to follow their instructions.

Lastly, Tiscali may be blocking BitTorrent traffic -- causing µTorrent's green/yellow/red light firewall test to fail in spades...but the "Test If Port Forwarded correctly" which uses regular HTTP web traffic has no problem passing at all!

My ISP is Pipex, Pipex tell me they are not blocking anything to do with me. But as I understand it, Pipex uses Tiscali servers. Perhaps someone could set up a petition to stop ISP's from blocking what people pay for???

Archived