I have problem with "diskio.use_partfile t/f"

Sisq0

I have a question.

Tell me please, why utorrent keeps allocating disk space for files that i don't want to download. I excluded the avi from a movie torrent cause i wanted just the subs and nfo files, and utorrent again created the avi (702mb) file in the torrent directory.. i tried diskio.use_partfile true/false .. nothing hepls... PLEASE tell me what to do

u mean Pre-allocate in Preferences -> Torrent Options? Isn't that global option? Do u mean that if pre-alloc is on, the files are created regardless diskio.use_partfile is set to true or false? That makes no sence - what about if i want the file #1 from one torrent and don't want file #2 and in the same time i want uTorrent to reserve all the space needed for file #1 ? I can't do that... why is bitcommet able to do that then?!?

How do I make µTorrent allocate all the files when I start the torrent?

Turn on "Pre-allocate disk space" in Torrent Options. Turning on this option will prevent compact storage and sparse files from working, however. All files will be allocated regardless of if you used selective downloading. This is not planned to change in the future. There is little use to pre-allocate except for making sure you have enough space when starting a torrent. It does NOT reduce fragmentation as compared to not using it, since µTorrent allocates the full file when writing without pre-allocate (unless you use compact storage or sparse files).

Well, it's supposed to allocate the file completely whenever it writes a piece... if this is what you mean, it's normal. You can however, use bt.compact_allocation to remedy this without causing too much additional fragmentation. diskio.use_sparse_files works even better but it causes a bit of fragmentation.

Archived