Not the typical port problem (sigh)>NO ROUTER<

GroovyDawg

Hi.

I'm a relative newbie at torrent downloading but i catch on quick. As recommended, I have set my upload/download at 80%/95% respectively and tuned the advance section of "Preferences". Still download speeds rarely rise above 15 kB/s. I'm pretty sure its attributed to the port not being open.

Now heres the problem.

I HAVE set my firewall (norton and Windows) to allow all connections to Utorrent. I have BitComet on my machine to and it connects alright to a port but somehow uTorrent doesn't.

I DO NOT have a router. Not D'Link, not linksys or anything of that sort. I am currently overseas an in my rented apt, a LAN cable is all I've got, (though speeds are relatively quick). The LAN cable is plugged from the WALL. Directly from the wall. no routers. Thats why Port Forward is no help. try numerous port numbers to no avail. On my wireless, which seems to come "from the air" also doesn't solve mu utorrent port problem.

Anything to boost my speed and increase connectivity to seeds? (Currently connects only to 2-7 seeds per download)

HELP?

You're screwed...permanently firewalled by a router you cannot access. The rented apt almost certainly uses a SHARED internet line...shared via a router you don't have access to! That's what it means to be on a LAN.

You can try enabling UPnP and hope it works.

But if it doesn't, you will be firewalled in µTorrent and only able to download from not-firewalled peers and seeds.

Ahh..Screwed I see. No way of working around it? Forcing open the port? (Read somewhere about FORCING it open). UPnP huh. Whats that? I found that it stands for Universal Plug and Play but forgive my anal-ness (sic) but what does it do and do I have to manually enable it on uTorrent and BitComet? (BitComet's port was blocked this morning when I was temporarily disconnected from the internet.) Strangely, uTorrent's port opened but download speeds remained slow. And everytime I get disconnected, (bloody building-shared-internet-crap) the ports close up. Both uTorrent and BitComet. Tried the UPnP test thingy, and still trying to figure out....

Will the UPnP make my system more vulnerable in any way? And if all goes well, with my current connection type (internet from wall), what speeds should i expect?

More explanations please?

Thanks for the prompt responses...:)

"Will the UPnP make my system more vulnerable in any way?"

It shouldn't. But I don't know if the viruses (if any) you're already running on your system are UPnP compatible to be sure.

"And if all goes well, with my current connection type (internet from wall), what speeds should i expect?"

I don't know the speed of your connection both down and up, so I am not going to guess.

How do I know that UPnP IS enabled on uTorrent? I ran the tests and all and passed all six (or seven, don't remember how many) of them. Should I have to manually enable this UPnP thing of the appplication it self? Modify firewall rules?

How do I know for sure that its helping my speeds? Testing it on Speedtest.net, my speed nearly always fluctuates. Ranging from 1172 kb/s (note: kb not kB) to 120kb/s for download speeds and 300 to 50 for uploads....

What should I see as speeds or improved speeds? Currently seeing no more that 15-18kB/s on Bit Comet and uTorrent.

More help?

Under µTorrent's Preferences settings...Connection section:

Enable UPnP port mapping needs to be checked...and maybe check enable NAT-PMP port mapping as well.

THAT should get µTorrent to at least try UPnP...but I cannot promise it will work, the router you're connecting to the internet through MUST have UPnP support...and that's out of your/our control.

• 4 weeks later...

the port is GREEN!!!!!!! tada!!! Finally....happened so suddenly I don't even know why it happened...Must be the UPnP thing...Thing is though, only opens on good days...and on good torrents..(ie. high seeds and peer ratios). Exception though, was a 4 gig dvd rip HD that I downloaded in a week, not many seeds equal closed port...other though, worked just fine...

Thanks switeck for all the help!!

Sry for the really late update on my issue..as I've been heavily downloading torrents I didn't even want to surf the net :P

As for the expected speeds, I have a 1.5 mbps d/l speed and 150-320 upload speed. (Tested on speedtest.net) So what should I see (when ports are green) just for a baseline reference...highest d/l speed I got was 120kb/s for four torrents downloading at the same time...that good? Hear some folks get 8 mega freaking bytes on downloading....

1.5 megabits/sec download bandwidth is unlikely to give more than 160 KiloBYTES/sec download SPEED for torrents or regular HTTP web downloads. Torrents have more overheads, (trying to communicate with lots of peers+seeds at once) so naturally they'll be slower than many/most HTTP web downloads.

"150-320 upload speed" (in kilobits/sec probably)

With such a variable upload bandwidth, it's hard to say what you should be getting for sustainable upload speed max in µTorrent.

Archived