µ symbol definiton (for those who don't know the meaning) :)

Sisq0

Many of us here write µ as u. Yes, they have visual similarity but they're not the same and here it is:

Mu (letter)

Mu (upper case Μ, lower case μ) is the 12th letter of the Greek alphabet. In the system of Greek numerals it has a value of 40.

Mu was derived from the Egyptian hieroglyphic symbol for water () which had been simplified by the Phoenicians and named after their word for water, mem. The sound "M" is still connected with the sea in many languages, as in Hebrew marah, Latin mare, Spanish mar, German Meer, and French mer.

The letter mu appears in conjunction with alpha and omega to signify the "beginning, middle (meson) and end," a phrase found in an Orphic verse describing Zeus, and later adopted to describe both Jehovah and Jesus.

In Aeschylus' Eumenides, the repeated moaning of the letter mu is the sound made by the sleeping Furies as the ghost of Clytemnestra begins to invoke them. It again appears as an ominous mantra in a 10th century Coptic papyrus, containing a Christian curse against perjurers that invokes the angel Temeluchos:

I adjure you by the seven perfect letters, ΜΜΜΜΜΜΜ. You must appear to him, you must appear to him. I adjure you by the seven angels around the throne of the father.

The lower-case letter mu is used as a special symbol in many academic fields. The upper case Mu isn't generally used in this way because it is normally indistinguishable from the latin M.

In mathematics:

the Möbius function in number theory

the population mean or expected value in probability and statistics

a measure in measure theory

In measurement:

the SI prefix micro-, which represents one millionth, or 10−6. Unicode actually encodes the micro sign separately from the greek letter though they look identical in most fonts.

the micron, an old unit which corresponds to the micrometre (which is now denoted "µm")

In classical physics and engineering:

the coefficient of friction

reduced mass in the two-body problem

permeability in electromagnetism

In particle physics:

the elementary particle called the muon

Rarely, the letter μ may be used to distinguish one item represented by "m" from another (but a better option might be to use "m", "m", "m", etc.).

Letters that arose from the Greek Μ include the Latin M and Cyrillic М.

Here is the whole Greek alphabet:

Α α Alpha

Β β Beta

Γ γ Gamma

Δ δ Delta

Ε ε Epsilon

Ζ ζ Zeta

Η η Eta

Θ θ Theta

Ι ι Iota

Κ κ Kappa

Λ λ Lambda

Μ μ Mu

Ν ν Nu

Ξ ξ Xi

Ο ο Omicron

Π π Pi

Ρ ρ Rho

Σ σ Sigma

Τ τ Tau

Υ υ Upsilon

Φ φ Phi

Χ χ Chi

Ψ ψ Psi

Ω ω Omega

obsolete letters

Ϝ ϝ Digamma Ϻ ϻ San

Ϙ ϙ Qoppa Ϡ ϡ Sampi

The whole article is here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_%28letter%29

p.s.

If the mods find this thread not in place, please feel free to move it where u find suitable :)

in this case,the other question should be why µ?what is the relation between torrent and this symbol definition?do i think it day and night no just a little question.

why do we use u instead of µ?

because that symbol is not in our alphabets.And it is easy to say u than µ :) or

we type like utorrent.com in our browsers so it becomes a kind of habit :)

at the end,as far as I'm concerned it is a suitable symbol and i really like it much

Archived