Creating, Sharing and Restricting a private torrent

crashnburn

I have a friend who has around 1G to 10GB Data on his laptop. He was suppossed to burn it for me when I visited him but it did not happen.

He said he would upload etc and from what I've found HTTP / FTP uploads & downloads are not the most reliable or fast.

He also has to distribute it to a bunch of other people that are part of our group.

What would be the way to CREATE this torrent such that only I CAN download it from him.

Next week if works out we would try to get it to a bunch of people in our group.

I have never CREATED torrents as such so a simple How to or LINK would help.

Tell him to create a torrent file, and send it to you. Then load it into uTorrent, highlight the torrent, then right-click somewhere on the bottom panel in uTorrent and click "Add Peer". Add his IP address and you should be able to start transferring.

Creating a torrent with µTorrent is simple - there's even some help in the guides here (link on the front page to http://www.utorrent.com/guides.php)

After that you'll just need to add the peers (IP:port) to connect and start sharing the files amongst you and your friends.

And since no one else has the .torrent file no one else can access the files you are sharing.

Im able to share .torrents with my friends also without "add peer" function (without entering a tracker). I enabled bt.enable_tracker in advance options but I didnt enter anyones ip:port number. This is probably because of embeded tracker and/or DHT?

What if I enter a tracker (from one of the known pages) when creating torrent (and send it only to my friends) - will it still be accesible only between us?

Just to clarify - no one and no matter how many trackers I enter when creating a new torrent, can access/download my torrent, if I dont send .torrent directly (e-mail) to him/her?

Thanks!

• 11 months later...

I enable the embedded tracker and I created a torrent with my IP and the listening port of utorrent. I sent the torrent file to a friend I want to share some photos but the file is not downloaded. Probably I haven't done or he hasn't done something correct. I open also the torrent file, it is shown on the main screen but it says anavailable. I can see also the IP address of my friend but only this... can anyone help me.

Thanks in advance

Archived