Peer Exchange isnt working for me in 1.7.5

AceFace123

im at school alot, and i use their free wireless connection. they have obviously considered the fact that torrents will bog down the schools internet if everyone downloaded allday everyday. anyways, they blocked the ability to connect to trackers, which is ok with me, i really dont care.

this is what ive done in version 1.7.4 to work around their block:

1) turn on encryption. either of the "enabled" or "forced" encryption settings worked.

2) make sure peer exchange was enabled.

3) use a socks v4 or v5 proxy to connect to a tracker to find at least a few peers/seeds.

4) let peer exchange work its magic, and the torrent downloads like mad.

5) i always turned off the proxy once i got a few peers because the school would take away my internet privileges if they knew i was using proxies.

note) all of the IPs in my peer list had the "X" flag. everyone.

whats not working now in 1.7.5

[edit] i can connect to about 3 peers, but dling goes WAY slow and still no peer exchange[/edit]

i cant get any peers through peer exchange, the option is greyed out when opening a new torrent or even when checking the torrents properties. trying the procedure above doesnt work like it used to anymore. should i revert back to 1.7.4? does anyone know whats going on?

• 4 months later...
5) i always turned off the proxy once i got a few peers because the school would take away my internet privileges if they knew i was using proxies.

SSH/SSL/encrypt it. You can always claim its remote backups. Although a bandwidth meter might show the variable-ness (if your connection is fast enough/torrent unhealthy enough not to fully saturate your line) that would indicate there might be p2p inside the 1 encrypted connection. Also variable download (your view) speeds and a constant upload would show that can't possibly be a remote backup. Variable upload speed, even less plausible. Still you can try it. You can always claim your VPNing home or something. Also SSH/SSL/encryption would make it look as 1 connection, less likly to trigger a "wow, massive amount of connections from 1 student, definetly not web browsing" that a socks proxy would I think.

Archived