Suggestion: Allow to change the default Path to the Settings

Defender

Hi,

I love µtorrent. But the real problem for me is, that I'm not able to configure the Directory of the Settings (by Default %AppData%\uTorrent) myself.

The reason is, that I would like to hide my whole installation completely in an encrypted, mounted volume and not leave some settings anywhere but where I define them to be.

My Suggestion would be to keep the default-dir for the settings as it is (as it seems that most of the people do not care), but build in a simple commandline-option that allows you to start utorrent.exe with another Settings-Directory.

E.g. utorrent.exe /s \settings (relative to utorrent-dir)

or utorrent.exe /s C:\whatever

This would be very easy and would help a lot.

Thanks,

Defender

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#How_can_I_use_.C2.B5Torrent_on_a_USB_key_or_other_removable_drive.3F

Just put the executable and the .dat files in the encrypted space and .... done!

Yeah, but that's a workaround if you ask me. I think, an application should be fully configurable without compromise. Why limiting here?

Regards,

Defender

You said "hide my whole installation completely". I took you at your word.

As for a workaround, no need for one. If you really need two settings, you can have one unencrypted area with utorrent.exe and .dat files for others to use, and another encrypted area for your own utorrent.exe and .dat files. The executable is so small that it isn't an issue for having it in multiple locations. What could be easier.

Edit: And while your at it, you could throw in http://torrentvcr.inacurate.com/ as well.

You said "hide my whole installation completely". I took you at your word.

As for a workaround, no need for one. If you really need two settings, you can have one unencrypted area with utorrent.exe and .dat files for others to use, and another encrypted area for your own utorrent.exe and .dat files. The executable is so small that it isn't an issue for having it in multiple locations. What could be easier.

I'm not sure if you got my point. I'm in software development as well. And if you - as a user - have to think like this, something's wrong.

I mean it'll work, but it's not nice... Do you see the difference? ;)

Edit: And while your at it, you could throw in http://torrentvcr.inacurate.com/ as well.

This is where I didn't get your point... ;)

A rule to live by: don't make assumptions. I make my living in web application and site development. And yes, I do program. I know the difference.

And unless you want to write your own torrent client, you have to work within the limitations of the interface that the developers have put together.

I gave you a solution that works now, and of course maybe in the future the µTorrent designers will put in that feature (which would be nice), but they might not. A workaround still works by definition. And sometimes the simplest method is the best to have. This is one case in point.

As for the URL I gave you, there you can download a simple RSS feed reader and filter program to push torrents to bittorrent clients that accept command line entries. And also doesn't require installation either, so it could also be stored in an encrypted area with µTorrent.

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#How_can_I_use_.C2.B5Torrent_on_a_USB_key_or_other_removable_drive.3F

Just put the executable and the .dat files in the encrypted space and .... done!

Yeah' date=' but that's a workaround if you ask me. I think, an application should be fully configurable without compromise. Why limiting here?

Regards,

Defender[/quote']

Other people want KiB, MiB, GiB, TiB etc. as an option, Ludde said he's not interested. The point I'm trying to make: you don't always get what you want, so you have to live with what you do have. ;)

Other people want KiB, MiB, GiB, TiB etc. as an option, Ludde said he's not interested. The point I'm trying to make: you don't always get what you want, so you have to live with what you do have. ;)

Don't worry! I won't murder anyone, if this will not be included... ;)

Archived