Protocol Encryption on by default

lyml

Setting encryption mode to "Enabled" speeds up your downloads since you are able to connect to people who don't allow legacy unencrypted connections aswell as increasing overall security.

And since it also gives no drawbacks it should be enabled by default.

That is all.

In answer to The8472

>> aswell as increasing overall security

>... which means you don't understand anything at all about how the protocol encryption works.

When I say increase overall security I mean it increases your ability to avoid ISP shaping of your internet traffic, or ISP-level monitoring of what you are doing with your bandwidth (which is the same thing basicly).

>> since you are able to connect to people who don't allow legacy unencrypted connections

>not true, since PEX propagates this requirement

Pure bullshit, with the feature enabled, you are able to connect to people who only accepts encrypted connections and able to fall back to normal connections when you try to connect to a peer that doesn't support encrypted connections. If you don't uncheck the checkbox to allow legacy connections it also has no effect on peers who want to download from you since they still can connect to you without encryption.

Edit: Well I can't see any reason not to enable it by default. But anyone knowledgeable who knows a valid reason why it should not be enabled?

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

as i understand, there was talk about ability use encripted and nonencripted transfering on same shared torrent between peers. i talk about using encription option setting on different active torrents. how using nonencripted seedeng of one torrent can affect encription safety of another torrent?

hm. i understand - global PE intended for avoiding torrent activity from ISP.

as i thought before PE intended for hiding contents of some private torrent from ISP or against keek. for this purpouses selective PE of torrents have a sense. but look like this feature not hard demanded.

Archived