utorrent 1.7.5 and web surfing (how do I go back to 1.7.2?)

philebus

I've been using utorrent for over a year without any issues. After the installation of the latest version suddenly my web surfing (on Firefox) has slowed down to a grinding halt. Often sites no longer load.

Now I realise that the first reaction is to go to the following thread ... http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992 and fiddle with DHT and connections etc.

BUT before I do this, I just want to know if there is an issue with the latest version and web surfing, specifically with Firefox. I had no such issues before, so why do I suddenly have them now.

Perhaps I should just go back to version 1.7.2. If so, how does one go back to previous versions while keeping all one's setting? Is it the same procedure of going to more advanced versions: namely just installing the version over the top of the currently installed version?

thanks for any help

BUT before I do this, I just want to know if there is an issue with the latest version and web surfing, specifically with Firefox.

No, there isn't.

Now I realise that the first reaction is to go to the following thread ... http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992 and fiddle with DHT and connections etc.

Which is what you're supposed to do.

You do need to keep in mind that software firewalls remember each version is a separate program for purposes of its rules.

Thanks, DWK, but I don't get why I have to change the firewalls rules. My software firewall application rules give permissions to utorrent, so that can't be slowing things up. Also the ports forwarded are the same, so what rules need to be adjusted and WHY did these NOT need adjusting in previous changes of versions in utorrent? I means I have upgraded utorrent many times over the past 18 months without having to change anything. Why must I make changes now?

People have always had problems with upgrades. Firewalls often silently block new versions and cause all sorts of problems which are resolved by removing and re-adding firewall rules.

Anyway, just go through the stuff in that link. The first thing to always try is resetting net.max_halfopen to 8.

Archived