Is it possible that some torrents with enough seeds are just SLOW?

polmuaddib

I have a ADSL 512/64 Kbps connection. I know, a poor upload...

I use Win XPSP2, my router is Huawei MT882, utorrent shows green for network, I use UPnP Port mapping, says my port is open and etc.... basicaly everything is ok.

Since I set up my utorrent and connection properly, a moth ago, I have been downloading at my max speed which is 45 to 50 Kb/s and I was satisfied. I had to limit my global upload to 6 so the download speed was unlimited, but I am downloading one or two torrents at a time and had to limit their upload speeds to 1 or 2 so that it does not affect my download. Only then did my download speed go to 45 to 50. I did no changes to Bittorent section (maximum number of connections, per torrent, it was 200/100).

But now I am downloading one torrent with 120 seeds, 846 peers (10 seeds , 62 peers connected) and the other with 32 seeds and 1427 peers (1 seed, 72 peers connected) and it is slow... it goes from 3 to 20 kb/s max, usualy around 8 kb/s.

Why?

Do I need to change something in utorrent settings? Like number of connections? Or something else?

Is it possible that even if it says that ports are open, and network is green, that there is still some problem there?

Thank you

I have seen such a torrent, too. I do not think it is uTorrent since it has proven to me many times being capable of getting high transfer rates. So why should it fail for just one particular torrent? ...

Because several ISPs limit their bandwidth, together with flawed clients and even dark forces, it is certainly possible that one torrent creates a higher rate than another, and that in a few cases this is less than ones best transfer rate. Another good reason might be the age of a torrent. People could still be seeding it but have reduced their upload rate after having reached a fair share ratio. Thus you will see many connections but only with small transfer rates. Therefore I believe it is unavoidable to find a torrent that does not perform as well as others. If it however occurs rather often, and you do not own an ultra fast connection, you may still be dealing wit a problem on your side.

Thanks. After I posted, I tried some torrents that are small and downloaded them at maximum speeds, while the 2 slow ones that I am downloading for a while continued at their usual rate. So utorrent is working properly. But, could something be done about the slow ones? I don't know, like, different settings? I tried changing number of connections, increasing, decreacing, but did not notice any long term change (does that affect speed at all and how, I'm not sure?). Sometimes it goes faster, but not for long...

Or should I just accept the fact that sometimes there will be torrents that look healthy, but are slow and nothing can be done about that?

On older torrents, it's not uncommon for download speed to only be 1-2 times your upload speed...or even less!

This is doubly reinforced if uploading slowly, because peers tend to send most if not ALL their upload speed out to the few peers giving them the best download in return. ...Which probably isn't you.

Archived