- Fix: Disconnect ALL seeds when becoming a seed.

kokobaroko

For one, YOU'RE ONLY SUPPOSED TO USE SUPER SEEDING WHEN YOU'RE THE ONLY SEED IN THE SWARM. Might wanna turn it off for that torrent.

its on because I'v got very limited up speed and its better to seed a little than to not seed at all

Also, if you're selectively downloading, it doesn't disconnect from all seeds. And this is known.

hmm ok, I didnt know that one, but why is that? Being at 100% I dont need anything from seeders. Does it have something to do with DHT? (exchange of peer information with seeders)

You cannot CANNOT use super seeding when you are not the only seed! You MUST turn it off else you'll screw things up.

Anyway, if you do selective downloading, it doesn't disconnect from seeds because you're not technically a seed. ludde may or may not change this in the future (but he probably will)

Superseeding: a feature that allows seeders who are the only seed in the swarm to solely seed pieces that are found nowhere else in the swarm works something like this: the superseeding client pretends not to be a seed, but pretends to be a peer with an incomplete file. Then the client shares with one peer only, usually the one with the fastest upload to others. And that peer can then share that piece with the swarm. This allows the superseeding client to maximise the efficiency of the upload by only sharing those pieces nobody else has. And because of some other things about the behaviour of superseeding, this function does not work at all well in swarms with one peer and one seed only. So it is only good when the seeder is the only seed, and there are more than 2 peers.

No, superseeding does not seed only that chunk until the whole swarm has it. The purpose of super seeding is to spawn more speeders, ie seed certain pieces to certain people so that each leecher will have different pieces and can put together the whole download. How is this better than not seeding at all when you have more than one seed? It's not, super seeding is only efficient when you are the ONLY seeder. Why don't you explain how super seeding with 10 seeds is better than seeding regularly? If you have limited upload speed, then LIMIT your upload rate, there is a reason why people say do not super seed unless you are the only seeder.

now I'm one of 4 seeders, and there are times when I'm the only one for this torrent. Besides there is no way to limit upload for one torrent.

I am seeding this sucker for few months now.

about that connected seeders when I'm at 100% - I saw just now that utorrent was downloading something from one of those seeders, why? It was in ordinary seeding mode. I'v got all but 3 movies in this torrent (one is broken and two are dump :P), but they are set to skip.

http://bittornado.com/docs/superseed.txt

Super-seed mode is *NOT* recommended for general use. While it does assist in the wider distribution of rare data, because it limits the selection of pieces a client can downlad, it also limits the ability of those clients to download data for pieces they have already partially retrieved. Therefore, super-seed mode is only recommended for initial seeding servers.

Even if there are 2 or 3 other seeds, it is helpful. But if you have a limited amount of upload available, super-seed isn't what you should be doing UNLESS you are part of the initial seed base.

yes, there are. SO??? There are also 100 peers and I'v got 2-5KB up at max to spare.

I think what kokobaroko means is that he would like to know why superseeding is bad when there are many seeders. The answers in this thread only tells what superseeding does, it doesn't tell why this behaviour is bad when there are many seeders (either that or I'm not getting the point either ;)).

From what I understand what superseeding do, it's working when you're the only seeder because you concentrate to send pices to one peer that has a fast upload speed to others. But when that peer, or others, become seeders, it could be difficult concentrating to one peer because the other seeders may seed to him as well (and thus taking his download bandwith, making your upload slower). It could also be hard to find peers with good upload to others because maybe the other seeders has the quick upload.

Hope this helps, and hopefully it's an accurate conclusion :)

Archived