Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ares

Torrent Error: Element not found.

Use 1.8 if you persist with problems like this. You likely have odd/unexpected compact/sparse/preallocate settings. 1.8 fixed... all three cases of partfile problems (sometimes more than once :P) You'll note however that in 1.8 you cannot skip files while in compact allocation due to problems in actually creating the partfile instead of the files you want to download.

I have experienced this "element not found error" many times, using different versions of utorrent (currently 1.8).I have always used default setting. It happens on various torrents from various (private trackers) that I am seeding. I usually have about 25 torrents actively seeding and get 1 or 2 errors a day.

One thing I noticed is that it is almost always the nfo or sfv file that has gone missing, only once that I recall has a rar file gone awol.

I've been using this for a long time and this is the first time I've encountered this bugger. This thing is being really nasty about the element NOT being found (compact_allocation is off btw). Also I've notice that 1.8 tends to operate very slowly (memory leak?) so I don't know if that's related at all. If it helps any the error tends to happen aboard a ship bound for buried treasure. o_o

Has anybody gotten anything new to this yet??? I've been using uTorrent for some time and just this week almost every torrent generates this error at 99.9% completion!

I've checked all things suggested above and none of it works. Forced re-check, no. compact_allocation is false, local drive, NAS none of it works!

It seems the last piece will finish and then generate the error and everything sits in limbo!

ARRRRGGGHHHH!

Any other suggestions would be much appreciate.

Thanks!

I just started getting this problem (I'm not sure if its a 1.8.1 issue, I switched to Azureus, then formatted my box and am now on back on utorrent).

Installing 1.7.7 solved the problem. I'm writing to a network drive and my settings are at default.

Yes, and what steps previously mentioned in the thread have you tried?

Are you using pre-allocate? What about sparse files? What brand make/model NAS are you using? Have you lowered diskio.coalesce_write_size ? Troubleshooting is a two-way process.

*shrug* It solved my problem and it might prevent someone else from screwing around for hours.

At least the person who is coding this stuff knows 1.7.7 is ok. Relax.

It helps the random user that is trying to solve the problem.

If you do a diff on the 2 revisions, you'll be able to see what code has changed. Don't crap on me for having good intentions.

Well... You have no clue what you're talking about dutch. You probably never bothered to look at the changelog. uTorrent 1.8 went through NINE months of public testing. Your fix is likely lowering coalesce_write_size which you would have stumbled upon with more usage of search or "view as posts" on that page.

Being lazy never troubleshoots problems :(

Utorrent 1.8.1

coalesce_write_size = default is at 2097152

i halfed it to 1048576 = no dice

again to 524288 = no dice

again to 262144 = no dice

then to 100000 = no dice

then to 100 = no dice

then to 1 = no dice

The external hard drive is is mapped as a network drive via router.

NAS: NexStar LX

Firmware Version:

NAS-BASIC46, LOADER 70,VANTEC,2006-10-9. Fat32. 315gigs of free space.

Any other suggestions thelittlefire?

Uhhh, again you don't mention pre allocate or sparse files. However sparse files are useless as they aren't understood on FAT32.

Coalesce write size is in bytes. Base-10 numbers are silly, and choosing one was rather stupid :X However I have no other ideas since... well I don't have trouble with my simple SMB fileshares :(

I don't get why you guys are so abusive. If I truly am ignorant try be a little more civil about it. You guys are verging on ridiculous.

Anyways, if anybody has the same problem as I do, try unchecking "Disable Windows caching of disk writes". That solved my problem. That or just revert to 1.7.7 (but beware, there are security holes!) :P

I'm apologizing if it seems like I am callous. I try to follow things logically, and it just seemed completely illogical and irrational for your previous responses. I meant no offense. When you have a problem, you research it yes? You read up on other user experiences, possible causes, solutions, and troubleshoot. Nowhere on this forum is coalesce_write_size mentioned to reduce to 1 (unless you iterate "divide by 2" over 2^11 times).

Sorry, the drive is fat32 and is basically a networked external hard drive. I don't have any local windows access to it. (fsutil will only provide data on local ntfs drives :()

Can you recommend another utility that will work in this situation?

Well, I imagine that networked external hard drive situation is the cause of the element not found errors. That's been reported before.

Can you give me remote access to the machine so I can run some tests? How quickly does it happen when downloading?

Hi, I just registered to put in my pennies worth.

I didn't have this problem until I recently installed a new NAS (my previous NAS was fine)

I tried a couple of things mention on this post which didn't work but found something that worked perfectly (for me anyway)

In Preferences, Advanced, Disk Cache I unticked the default "Disable Windows caching of disk writes"

I tried several files with and without this option selected and I only received the error when it was ticked.

Hope this helps.

I have a D-Link NAS enclosure DNS-321, 2 x 1TB drives JBOD, and it uses Linux ext2 FS. I had a similar issue where some torrents would immediately say element not found.

I tried avanderw's suggestion and it seems to work fine now.

Any more info on specs I will gladly share with devs.