Utorrent + Uni halls interent = Nothing?

Danny200064

Depends on the details of what they do about the traffic. are you behind a nat or are other computers able to connect to your comp?

are you able to connect to others? (any peers with dht?)

are you able to connect to trackers? (or does it say connection closed by peer?)

Well i have managed to get it working just about. But im having real problems getting a good download speed. Im now getting a message that my port isnt open.

From the very little that i understand and from what i have read i still cant figure out how to get the dam thingy working corrently.

What exactly does having the ports open do? Any more advice on this one would be greatly recieved.

Hi,

I did already read through the "what is" page. The main problem that i have is that i do not have a router in my room. As i am in university halls i basially have a plug in the wall that i connect my network cable into. An thats about it, so im unable to find out the router and then go to the list and go from there.

I also dont have a "Setting up a Static IP Address with your router guide" for reasons previously stated.

I have read all the info concerned with the port forwarding but am still unable to fix my inital problem. Being that my download speed wont go over 20kbs.

Sorry to be a pest, but am paying quite a bit for this connection and want to make the most of it.

Thanks in advanced

Danny

If the issue is because ports are being blocked, then you might wait until uTorrent 1.8 which is supposed to have NAT traversal: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=29853

As I understand it, NAT traversal will work around ports being blocked.

The RIAA went after MP3 file sharers on campus several years ago. It wouldn't surprise me if your university put a cap on bandwidth due to file sharing abuses in the past.

Archived