protocol encryption

rain

what is protocol encryption... for my utorrent the outgoing protocol encryption was disabled... should it stay like that or should i put it to enabled... the box for allowing in coming legacy connetion is already checked... sorry if this question sounds stupid.. but i really don't know what this means.. i would appreciate if someone can explain it to me.. thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I might be mistaken, but I don't believe µTorrent elevates the outgoing connection encryption level passively. The only time µTorrent will encrypt a connection when outgoing encryption is disabled is when an incoming connection is encrypted. That another peer "demands" it would place the onus on that particular peer to attempt an incoming encrypted connection to you, which would be passive, but would still fall under incoming connections.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=52094

See this for a feature request that falls somewhere between active and passive encryption (that is, it's a request to allow µTorrent to prefer unencrypted outgoing connections rather than encrypted).

µTorrent's disabled mode will still encrypt INCOMING connections that demand it (and encryption is obviously two-way), be it header-only or full encryption.

In addition, if PEX is enabled and active, exchanged peerlists can indicate whether a peer wants encryption or not. In this case, uTorrent can still initiate an encrypted connection even if set to disabled.

That last part confuzzled me. You're saying that just because a peer hints (through PEX) that it only accepts encrypted connections, it could potentially force µTorrent to attempt encrypted outgoing connections despite the fact that the user tells µTorrent not to make encrypted outgoing connections...?

Correct. But it would only be doing this for peers that explicitly said they wanted encrypted connections.

The setting is effectively just for non-hinted connections. In fact, if we add support for the crypto tracker extension, it's going to behave the same way.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been reading up on torrent encryption and ran across the following website https://torrentprivacy.com/?id=tr

that claims to hide your IP, provides SSH protocol with 128 bit encryption, etc. Does uTorrent already provide this support with their encryption protocol? If not, what is your opinion of this service, generally speaking?

Any advice you can provide will be APPRECIATED.

Archived