uT 1.2.2 and Linksys WRT54GS w/ DD-WRT v22r2 not playing nicely?

nord1899

Okay, as the title says, I am using uTorrent 1.2.2 and a Linksys WRT54GS (speedboost one) v2.1 but using the DD-WRT v22r2 firmware.

uTorrent is set with the following changed options:

- Upload 30 while downloading otherwise 50 (max upload I've seen on my net connection is around 90kB/s).

- 200 maximum number of peers per torrent.

And I believe the rest is set to default.

On the Linksys, everything is set to default except for wireless security permission (this computer is using wired).

Computer is WinXP Pro SP2 fully patched. Not using the Windows Firewall.

Anyway, the problem I seem to be having is when a torrent is active, suddenly things seem to start timing out. I mean, even the router status page (192.168.1.1) starts timing out. Kill the torrents, and everything goes back to normal. Start the torrents back up, and bam, everything grinds to a halt. I seem to have no problems with speeds from the torrents (was getting 400+kB/s down and hitting the 30 or 50 kB/s up cap).

I'd be willing to help out with troubleshooting this. I have a decent computer programming / debugging background so I should be able to help out. But if someone already knows whats up, or if a solution is already in the works, that'd be even better.

Thanks.

DD-WRT sucks. :P But seriously, I prefer HyperWRT 2.1.b1 tofu11

If you do/don't wanna change, it doesn't matter, but if you do, you'll have to erase the nvram in the command shell once you change over.

Administration -> Run Command

erase nvram;reboot

You'll have to reconfigure everything, but this is required since changing firmwares leaves crap in the nvram. You can backup the configuration after you do this and configure everything.

Anyway, I'm not sure if DD-WRT lets you put in a startup script (HyperWRT does), but you need to add this to make your router not stall on lots of P2P connections.

echo 4096 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_ignore_bogus_error_responses
echo "600 1800 120 60 120 120 10 60 30 120" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_tcp_timeouts

Glad it helps! The problem is the default firmware and most firmware replacements (only Thibor and tofu HyperWRT change it by default, but still not as good values as what I gave) has very crappy TCP timeouts. They track old connections for FIVE days, so with P2P this will stall the router, and sometimes make it crash... They also limit you to only 1024 connections (it can handle much more safely). With the startup script I gave, the router only tracks dead connections for 30 minutes, and allows up to 4096 connections.

Archived