switching from Azureus to µTorrent

11notes

I've been thinking of switching from Azureus to µTorrent because of the heavy CPU and Memory usage of Azureus. I'm running my BittorrentClient on a Windows 2003 Server with no high definition hardware ressources, so Azureus use up to 75% of the CPU usage next to DHCP, ADS, DNS, etc., and I cant stand it any longer!

My Server is a Homeserver with the main purpose to download files and serve as an application server. I'm downloading and seeding between 10 and 15 files simultaniously, my questions are now:

- can µTorrent generate a logfile (xml or else) of the current downloads/uploads, speed, seeds etc.?

- can I move not yet downloaded files from Azureus to µTorrent?

I've read the rest at the FAQ section!

For the second question, yes, just load the torrents into µT and point the client towards the current download directory. µT will re-hash the files and then resume downloading.

edit: As for log files, you can log all peer traffic into a window, and CTRL+A / CTRL+C / CTRL+V it into some other application, although I don't think this is what you want...

Ok thats fine! The logfile is very important for me because I want to check my download/upload status from anywhere over a self made webappliaction (works fine now with Azureus logfile xml). I just downloaded µTorrent at the company (I shouldn't, they'll kill me ;) ) and found no logfile or loging tool at all, or am I just to stupid to find it?

edit: No I can't copy and pase it to another window, I need a logfile generated by the program itself. CVS, or XML or something else to parse

That sucks, but I'll give µTorrent a try! Azureus works fine for me but uses to much CPU time and RAM, and as I wrote: I'm using the BTClient on a Windows Server, so why not a BTClient which is like a service => small, fast, simple.

Why a GUI anway for a BTClient? A config file a logfile thats all you need ;)

edit: or does anybody need fancy stuff like video preview, graphical bars' Program µTorrent as a command line programm and you'll need no RAM at all

edit2: it would be nice if a logfile will be included in a later release

I just came home and switched all my current torrents from Azureus to µTorrent and I'm fucking impressed 15 simultaniously downloads/uploads and the CPU usage of the process is only 7% and 12MB RAM, how is that possible? Azureus used 230MB RAM and 75%!!! Im really really impressed guys, a fantastic work you did with this small and simple torrent client *all thumbs up*, all I'm missing is my logfile :D

My average CPU usage at all (with all process running) is 1% - 3% I just can't belive it

And your download speed is ?

average: 500KB - 700KB with current 15 torrents downloading and seeding (Connection is 10Mbit Cable by locale Provider)

@Firon

That would rock! But a logfile for now would be all I need

• 2 months later...
How long do I've to wait? :D I'm pretty happy with uTorrent by the way :)
Week-ish? :/

Let me estimate: since it took me 2-4 weeks to convince the Dev to add average speed record, I estimate is will be around late September early November for the log file... :P

Just kidding... I would like to have a logfile too !

Just a side note: since the DLed torrents continue to be listed AFTER they are finished in the main screen, this list is kind of a log by itself. A new feature that is currently being added is a categories' filter for the main view. You can select downloading/finished and get a view of your old DLs (kind of history-log). Here is the a Beta build (425+) that you can try out and see it. So until November - that might be of some help to you.

Archived