WebUI with UPnP

Etruscan

I have uTorrent set up to randomize ports, and because of that, I've enabled UPnP in uTorrent so I don't need to put the router in a DMZ. Because of this, however, I need to assign a specific port for WebUI to listen to... and I used the default 8080. I'm able to log on to WebUI locally without trouble, but since I haven't forwarded the port (8080) I don't think it'll let me access it from work.

...the question is - does the uTorrent's UPnP also work for WebUI? Should it forward 8080 for me, or should I forward that on my own (or create a virtual server in my router?)

-E

Trying it out now, and I'm having trouble connecting with both IE7 and Firefox. I've created a Virtual Server for my uTorrent machine (using the port specified in WebUI) on my DLink router, but I suppose this isn't quite the same as Port Forwarding. I've read that I should just ditch the Virtual Server option and use the router's Port Forwarding. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is (from WebUI's perspective) or if this is a good idea. Regardless, I'll try it.

But can anyone chime in on that?

Usually Virtual Server and Port Forwarding is the same thing. Except that Virtual Server is usually simply 1 public port that is forwarder to the same private port. 'Advanced' Port Forwarding usually allow you to specify ranges and different public and private ports.

So under the port forwarding options you could map port 80 on your router to 8080 on your computer. That might solve the problem on the remote machine too. (Since 80 is the default http port)

Archived