56k Problem....

Pulseczar

I'm using a 56k connection and utorrent 1.7.5. It seems timeout and won't download. Whenever I start utorrent it will download fine but then about 20 min later, the download speed goes down to near nothing. It tries to move to the next torrent but it does the same thing. I've been using the same connection for about 2 years now and I've never had this problem. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm using the 56k setting. I also need to add that some torrents do work. Even some of the torrents that aren't working now were working previously. The only advanced setting I changed was queue.use_seed_peer_ratio because it wouldnt stop seeding at the ratio I told it stop.

If you haven't already, try this:

Turn off DHT (both kinds).

Disable Resolve IPs under the Peers Window. (That's expensive window-dressing considering it doesn't help download+upload speeds any.)

Reduce half open connection max to maybe 1-4. (You're not firewalled in µTorrent, right? ...so it shouldn't hurt as much as you might think!)

Disable resolve country flags in advanced.

Disable "Enable Local Peer Discovery".

Without seeing how µTorrent is choking/unchoking

...whether or not you're actually able to reach ~50 kilobits/sec down and 30 kilobits/sec up

...whether you're losing connection to peers/seeds alot

...whether µTorrent sometimes changes the green light at bottom to yellow/red

...whether you've also tried reducing max connections as low as 10.

...I cannot tell you what to do next.

Archived