uTorrent does not start up properly

lynnebrunton

Hi, every time I start uTorrent it shows as working in the background in the lower right corner of the taskbar, but it will not open the actual application. I cannot get any right-click capabilities over the taskbar icon. This means I cannot use uTorrent at all.

Can anyone help. Thanks, Lynne

Hi and thanks very much.

I tried what you asked and I could not find those 2 those anywhere. Also, I am sorry if I did not post my question properly. I did read the rules before posting so am not sure what you are referring to. can you let me know so that I don't make the same mistake.

Thanks, Lynne

> Try killing the task

In Windows, press Control + Alt + Delete which will bring up the Task Manager. Click on the Processes tab. If you click on the "Image Name", you'll get a sorted list of programs running on your computer. Look for utorrent.exe and click on End Process. When it asks you for confirmation, answer Yes.

If you want more detailed steps, go here: http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/taskman.htm

I having some trouble myself as well, regarding the startup of utorrent.

Whereas the older (and smaller!) versions started up the second I clicked, utorrent 1.7.5 needs about 10 seconds (and it doesn't even work 100% of the time!).

Developers get mad and forget the sole purpose of this used-to-be-perfectly-small-compact-and-fast-torrent app?? Please stop implementing new bullshit features thank you^^

When I have this happen, this is due to uTorrent starting for the first time after I restart the computer. Since I am downloading some mega-torrents 93GB, 50GB, etc. it takes a while for uTorrent to traverse through all the folders and files within a torrent. I am also on a network drive which makes the process even slower. I'm running a P4 3.4Ghz dual-core w/ Gigabit network drive but it goes pretty slow. I only realized this was happening because I ran a little program called Filemon.exe (from sysinternals) and notice uTorrent was doing its thing. It took a very long time for uTorrent to respond, but it did eventually open.

• 1 month later...

I too have been having this problem... even on my old XP desktop at home.

When I attempt to start up the program (or download a torrent file) the program does nothing. Older versions have done the same thing, and now it does it on a completely different computer. Any help would be appreciated. I scoured the forums, and this was the closest thing I could find.

p.s.- the process isn't even running in taskmon!

• 2 weeks later...

I always end up having to re-download, reinstall, and delete all the data from the previous version before starting up again.

I'm writing this because the program was closed (had to reboot) and once again I had to go through the process to get it running again.

I have tried: deleting the app data.

clicking the .exe file (nothing happens at all. No processes change whatsoever)

when I try to start up, nothing happens. Processes don't change (I am rather savvy with computers and understand taskmon, etc). The program responds to nothing.

I end up having to delete the app data folder, deleting the older .exe and downloading it all over again. This effectively deletes all the resume data, etc. and I have to enter all the settings in again... every time I want to start up the program!

I am not using an external harddrive.

This has happened on my other computer running XP (currently running Vista on an entirely different system, and didn't expect it to do the same thing. maybe a program conflict?)

There isn't merely a delay for starting up; NOTHING happens.

please help! I love the program, but despise this problem! :)

Backing up your resume/settings.dat is recommended before deleting anything.

Notice after the first time this happened you could have started backing it up if the initial deletion didn't work. :/ Also I recommend using HiJackThis and posting your log in a thread.

The next escalation for debugging after that is Process Explorer.

You mean in the title bar it says [Not Responding]?

That is an indicator that the thread for the GUI to update is locked somehow.

Did this just start? Have you changed anything in your computer setup recently?

Well to start a HiJackThis log may point us in the direction of alerting you to the FAQ or other known causes.

Just the symptom is not enough information.

Archived