Exception to the speed rule?

thinktank

I've got an 8meg connection with 768kbps upload, I just downloaded utorrent (sweet app I must say, usually use abc client) and downloaded 3 torrents at once hitting a max/cumulative speed of 580kb/s :D One of the torrents was 350kb/s :D I knew these were fast torrents and I do usually get that speed performance from abc (along with much more mem usuage chich is why I'm trying UT).

Now, I just read this:

Make sure you do not set too many upload slots OR connections per torrent. You should also try to never run more than 2-3 torrents. In general, an average 5mbit connection with 512kbit upload shouldn't have more than 100-150 connections per torrent, or more than 5-7 upload slots, especially if running more than one torrent. Experiment with these values depending on your connection speed. This is the most COMMON reason for torrents going slow, setting those options too high WILL make things slow down significantly! More connections does not mean faster speeds.

That's from the FAQ. Now, I've just used the following settings (bare in mind I didn't really know wth I was doing ;) :

Global Maximum Number of Connections: 20000

Maximum Number of Connected Peers: 20000

Number of Upload Slots Per Torrent: 1000

And as you can see, my speeds were sweet and had no problems. Is it ok to continue using those settings or will it adversely effect me if I download more than 3 torrents at once? Are there any other reasons why the above settings may not be a good thing?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh it's a good thing you haven't used a torrent that really had that many people in it ;)

If you ever hit your maximums, you might realize why that high of a number is a bad thing. You might have problems using other internet programs while torrenting. Windows won't like it very much and all internet activity will probably be lagging. So basically, you probably haven't used a torrent with that many people in it. If you did, you would have most likely noticed the slowdown. The reason you were an "exception" is that there simply weren't *that* many people to connect to in your torrents.

I wouldn't have more than 1024 max connections. It should probably be more in the neighborhood of 512 though. I'm sure others with similiar speeds to yours will have better recommendations. My broadband is pretty slow and I do two simultaneous torrents with 192 max connections and 96 per torrent.

-Ares

when I saw the numbers, I was like :o . then ... :[ ]

then my jaw hit the floor. :P

Animorcs values are correct though, thinktank, you may want to read up on how the bittorrent

protocol works (in rough terms) before fiddling with stats like that in the future :D

when I saw the numbers, I was like :o . then ... :[ ]

then my jaw hit the floor. :P

Animorcs values are correct though, thinktank, you may want to read up on how the bittorrent

protocol works (in rough terms) before fiddling with stats like that in the future :D

Well, I get the concept and have been using BT for years, just haven't used a client where those parameters were adjustable, so I just whacked some numbers in :D

No harm done...and the speeds rocked! ;)

My advice would be

Global Maximum Number of Connections: 800

Maximum Number of Connected Peers: 150

Number of Upload Slots Per Torrent: 50

And even these values are a bit high.

A bit high? Holy shnikes, 50 upload slots per torrent is unimaginable. Each peer would get like .1K/s transfer from you assuming you only had one torrent. A 768k upstream should have at the most 30 total upload slots, which usually translates into 6 slots per torrent.

800 connections is really high considering you should only have at most 4 simultaneous torrents with the given upstream. At most you should have 50-60 connections per torrent unless you are super seeding on a commercial grade connection. Anything above that is wasting local resources and bandwidth.

Connecting to a lot of seeds and peers is not going to give you high speeds. It will do the very opposite in fact.

I hope this is a typo! Depending on your speeds, it should be something between 3 (slow upload) and 6 (very fast upload). BT won't work well if you give everyone next to nothing for upload.

Hey, I want to get advice on what should I set those things on but I don't know my internet speed. All I know is that is broadband but I don't know the exact speed. How do I look for it?

Also, what other things can I configure to make downloads go faster? Usually I get things downloaded @ 3kb/s and the higher I get is 10/kbs. All with the default thing. How can I improve that?

Thanks!

Hey, I want to get advice on what should I set those things on but I don't know my internet speed. All I know is that is broadband but I don't know the exact speed. How do I look for it?

Also, what other things can I configure to make downloads go faster? Usually I get things downloaded @ 3kb/s and the higher I get is 10/kbs. All with the default thing. How can I improve that?

Thanks!

The default settings are designed for maximum performance anyway, right? So if I'm only downloading 1 or 2 torrents (tv shows from ABC, CBS, NBC, etc. - like on Tuesday night when 3 shows are on at the same time, I can only record one and watch one, so must download the other) I should be ok with the defaults, right?

ADSL - 1.5m/384k

I would assume that Utorrent comes pre-set to max or at least high performance. Is that a good assumption?

Thanks.

I hope this is a typo! Depending on your speeds, it should be something between 3 (slow upload) and 6 (very fast upload). BT won't work well if you give everyone next to nothing for upload.

That's not a typo, but you're right about the fact that it might be too much for a 768kbps line. I'm using 50 slots myself, but that's on 10Mbps.

Archived