utorrent causes Network Connection to stop responding

BrooklynZoo

Using utorrent 1.7.5 under XP Home SP2, this problem has gone on for some time and also with older versions. Connection will work fine for perhaps hours, then suddenly all torrents will go to red, no further downloading or uploading. No internet. Exact timing appears to be random although it does not ever happen right away.

When closing utorrent at that point I get a message saying something to the effect of utorrent was unable to save temp or hash file.

My other internet programs cease to work or browse anything including the router setup. Resetting the modem or router does not help and this has happened with two different modems and LinkSys routers. Also, the other computers attached to the router do not have this problem and their internet functions normally while mine has gone out. Resetting network connection or closing and opening any programs does not work. The only way to get my internet back is to reset the computer.

I haven't seen this problem addressed on this forum although I might have missed it. Can anyone help?

I did search but I didn't see anyone with the exact problem I have, unless they are describing it differently. Specifics of the system are as follows:

Dell Dimension 2300 P4 2Ghz

Win XP SP2, although this problem also happened with XP SP1

Linksys WRT54G - I am connected wired, not wireless. This also happened with a previous LinkSys wired router. Port 65530 is port forwarded to my static IP.

Toshiba PCX 2200 Cable Modem- problem also happened with previous modem.

PCI Adapter is GVC-REALTEK Ethernet 10/100 PCI Adapter.

Windows Firewall, with exceptions for utorrent and also for the utorrent port I use, which is 65530.

AV software is not currently installed. None is active on system.

I use Spybot: Search and Destroy and AdAware for Spyware detection... neither are running when I use utorrent.

ISP is Roadrunner Kansas City.

There is no problem downloading on utorrent normally. Everything appears to function correctly and at good speeds. Port is forwarded correctly. Internet works normally until utorrent stops sending/receiving. Then nothing works correctly and there is no internet or intranet connection. Programs such as AIM cease to work or save properly at that point and the computer acts strange in general. The only way to get the connection back is to restart the computer. It is as if the network adapter became tired of handling the utorrent traffic, like there was one connection too many and so it quits yet disabling/enabling it or any network connection doesn't change anything.

If there is more information I can provide, please let me know. This seems a very strange problem to me and I've never had it with a downloading program before.

Archived