Multi-Computer Throttling

Reaper005

If you guys haven't read my post in the Speed Problems forum, I have 3 other roommates, and everyone downloads torrents on and off. The setup guides on here work wonders with a single computer, but multiple computers may have issues when combined behind a single router. Of course, I could push down the # of connections/speeds on each machine, but if only one machine is torrenting, that machine won't be able to make the most out of the bandwidth. My suggestion is to allow uTorrent to communicate to other local machines and coordinate the # of connections each can have open and the speeds. That way the total bandwidth won't be exceeded, but all the bandwidth has a chance to be used.

You can also set up auto limit which will throttle for you automatically. I find that on private trackers with many seeds, you can have good performance with few connections. Its only on the public trackers do you need lots of connections due to low transfer rate from each peer. My point - you can have same performance on some trackers with less connections.

Actually, I've found a reverse problem:

On private trackers with lots of seeds, you can't upload as well because there's simply not a lot of active peers at any given moment...and the few peers there are usually are firewalled, have lousy throttling ISPs, and slow connections.

On public torrents, just by out-uploading the average peer PER upload slot, I can get download speeds typically from 1.5 times to 4 times my upload speed. I gain very little download speed going from 50 connections per torrent to 100 or more. Most of my speed comes from fewer than 10 connections, though I need typically about 30 to find them!

Archived