Download speed total seems to be capped

gator11

I am on Alltel DSL, use an 5 year old HP computer and Windows XP. Speedstream DSL router, and Belkin wireless router (ethernet to the above mentioned computer). I show to be port-forwarded correctly (always have the green symbol) and have recently noticed that:

It doesn't matter whether I am downloading 1 torrent or 3, the max download total speed is about 140-144 kB/s according to uTorrent. If I am downloading 1 seemingly fast file at 140 kB/s and start another, the second will increase in speed and the first will decrease in speed. Average will remain the same.

Is this what I should expect?

what is your DL and UL speed in Kb/s according to a nearby speed test? and what is your max upload in KB in utorrent?

I reckon, you already get dl speed as fast as you can with your connection. and depending on the peers and the connection's latency to their machines, some peers are faster in connecting to you than others. hence the speed balance of 2 torrents. at other times you will find that 2 torrents are rather asynchronous in their speeds because the peers are connecting at different connection qualities. hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed the same problem. I have a reasonably fast connection (Should be 24 megs but I get max 6mb, with an average of around 4, due to the distance from my exchange) and have noticed that I can never get a total speed greater than 500kB/s. Now I know that that is fine and dandy and most of the time it doesnt bother me but I have just been trying to get hold of three very well seeded torrents and the problem is annoying me.

With all three running the max is 500 or so, then as I stop each in turn the running torrents will increase in speed until the max of around 500. I can even go and do another download via http or ftp and this makes no difference to my uTorrent speed. I have tried increasing the stated line speed etc in the speed guide, cutting my upload to 10kB/s, the half-open patch and with no difference. Ive tried it with/without encryption and with a dedicated port or using uPnP with a random port. No difference.

I do remember getting better total speeds with previous versions (I'm using 1.7.5 at the moment) so what is happening. I'm in the process of trying the download with another BitTorrent program, but I don't want to have to change , I like uTorrent!

I am using a Speedtouch 780wl (via 100mb cable NOT wireless), with XPsp2 and dual core 2.13ghz 512mb machine.

A speedtest to my nearest tester is 4353 D/L and 1044 U/L, so in theory i must be able to get more than 500kB/s if there are enough seeds ???

Archived