Is possible in Initial-seeding limit the number of peers?

servimo

If you limit the number of peers you upload to, it is logical to think that the upload speed will improve for everyone. Sometimes true, sometimes not true. It depends on what speed your peer can receive at. Even if you have high upload speed, maybe your peer is on dial-up and can only receive 5 Kb not matter what.

What I do is set one upload slot per torrent, then let uTorrent decide if it needs to upload to more peers to maximize the upload bandwidth:

uploadslotspertorrentve6.gif

I don't know if this is best way, but it doesn't kill my cheap router so I keep it like this.

MUCH of your upload speed will go underutilized with only 1 upload slot...even when more is allowed if <90% max upload speed.

In my tests, µTorrent tended to need at LEAST 3 upload slots to keep upload speed maxed out...and sometimes needed 5+.

So I recommend setting upload slots to 3 or 4 unless your total upload speed is rather low. You want peers to upload back to you, and they don't do that reliably if you're only sending to them at <1 KiloBYTE/sec. :(

Even when upload speed is less than 90% max, there's a few seconds time delay between starting new upload slots...and then those upload slots take a few MORE seconds to ramp up to speed -- often 15 seconds.

And yes, there is the 90%-100% window where no new upload slots are opened. But for uploading at 40 KiloBYTES/sec, that's a loss of at most 4 KiloBYTES/sec.

You just have to run a couple "marginal" torrents you're trying to seed to ips on ISPs that throttle BitTorrent to see what I mean. :(

Also, overloaded peers (that may have THEIR upload speed set to unlimited or amazingly are already downloading at their max speed) may only take your max upload speed in crazy bursts, thus defying the open additional upload slots rule...since they DO occasionally get to >90% max upload speed. :(

Less upload slots is actually a good thing in some cases... depending on how large the file your seeding is of course...

on a dvdr (4.3gb) I wouldn't seed to more than say at most 60-110 peers... (with a 100mbit server...), also depends how much ram you have... if the disk reads/sec get too high it's no good

[the logic is a peer will request some relatively sequential bits of the file... where as if you replace his request with 10 requests it's all over the place... the randomness of requests is what slows your upload speed down... it's also why people get disk overload easier while downloading than uploading due to your not really being able to control who gives you what when]

You could probably get away with just 1 upload slot PER torrent if you're always running 5 or more ACTIVE torrents at once, so long as you have the "extra upload slots if upload speed is less than 90% max" checked. Even if 1 torrent isn't pulling its normal allotment of your upload speed, the rest will pull up the slack. This is WHY you don't individually set torrent's upload speed max...unless you want 1 or 2 to ALWAYS go slow.

Archived