Routing uTorrent when you have multiple gateways under XP

disposable5819

I'm on XP-- I have two different gateways for tcp/ip. The "default" gateway which is a direct connection to the internet, and second gateway which is through a PPTP VPN. Since I have two different connections to the internet, my computer has to decide which gateway to send/receive traffic.

What I want is to map some port to the default gateway, but other ports to the VPN. So, for example, the VPN has plenty high bandwidth, so I would want the uTorrent traffic to go through the VPN.

On the other hand, the VPN has high latency-- so when I want do something that requires low latency, it needs to go through the direct connection. So, if I want to play World of Warcraft, I want port 3724 traffic to go through the direct connect.

Any idea how I could set this up?

I've done some research on this and found the Xincom dual-WAN router that is reasonably priced. The reviews on CNET and Amazon aren't many, but the reviews are consistently good. The reviews on the consumer models - Dlink, LinkSys, and Netgear - are all mixed. For a little bit more than the consumer models, the Xincom at $200 seems like a good investment. Personally, I'm thinking about getting the Xincom Twin Wan Router XC-DPG502 myself. Just to have decide if I want to go dual-DSL or DSL/Cable.

Archived