Seeding modified archive

o770

Hello. I'm new to BitTorrent/uTorrent. Would anybody pls help me understand the following about seeding?

If I've got a music album for instance, and there are files that I'm not keeping, like the bunch of usual txt, log, covers etc; may I still seed the incomplete torrent or I should create and upload a new one of the actual content? Or perhaps I should create a new torrent of the actual content and keep the tracker(s), so that uTorrent only uploads the files I have?

As long as you skip the files when you download them, you can ignore them, and assuming they don't share pieces with other files you didn't skip, µTorrent won't upload them. If you remove the torrent from µTorrent, though, and want to re-upload, some of the existing files you will have finished by then might not be considered complete by µTorrent, and their missing pieces will have to be redownloaded.

So even the files I skipped might be downloaded when seeding, just because uTorrent could consider the Torrent incomplete? That wouldn't happen, right? What am I missing?

The purpose is to seed part of the Torrent content along with other seeders, instead of creating and uploading a new Torrent only because I have excluded (or skipped) one TXT file.

> So even the files I skipped might be downloaded when seeding,

> just because uTorrent could consider the Torrent incomplete?

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=262290#p262290

Bittorrent has to download files in pieces. So, even if you skipped the text file, it may have already been downloaded if the text file is completely in a piece that you already downloaded. There's not much benefit in skipping small files.

I just wonder what the routine of music downloaders is if contents of Torrents can't be altered in any way: be it by retagging, renaming and/or skipping files. Downloaders with collections have patterns of their own. Who would create and upload Torrents of downloaded contents more easily available and complete, considering number of seeders and arguable files (covers, artwork, propaganda and logs)? Not me as far as I can tell.

The time until my (downloaded) music files have been corrected is all the time I have to seed them.

Thanks for your time!

Regards.

The content of files in a torrent may NOT be altered. If you do the files won't get through the so called hash-check. So changing id info in mp3s is a big NO-NO. If you want to edit that info you have to make a copy for yourself and you can edit that and keep an untouched copy for seeding.

Renaming files in a single-file torrent is no problem (but single file mp3 torrents are... eh... rare :P): You stop the torrent, rename (and/or move) the file and then in µtorrent r-click on the torrent, advanced, set download location, and point to the renamed file.

Multi-file torrents (a torrent containing more then 1 file) are a different story. Only the whole folder containing all the files can be moved. You cannot move files inside the folder of the torrent to different locations and neither can you rename any files (Although it has been suggested that this function might be implemented in 1.8).

Archived